The Emperor's Edge 2: Ch. 25

A sheen of water covered the walls and rivulets trickled down the sloping tunnel floor. The ore cart tracks glistened. With the pump broken, it would not take long for the lower levels to flood, but Books did not think it would happen quickly enough to help them that night.

He, Basilard, Maldynado, and Akstyr walked in silence, listening for noise from above. Since Books had now destroyed two of the shaman’s security devices, not to mention the pump, Tarok ought to be down here investigating. The fact that he was not suggested Amaranthe was up there playing the part of the distraction. That thought did not comfort Books.

The team entered a cavern with a ledge running along one side. Though the chamber appeared natural, wooden posts and beams supported the ceiling, and the far wall had seen miners’ picks.

Books diverted to the ledge, jumped, and peered over it. Though he doubted any of the side passages held backdoors out of the mine, he would not mind being proven wrong—it might be easier to grab Amaranthe and escape deeper into the tunnels rather than out the front. The broad shelf, littered with trash and broken lanterns, ran back about eight feet, but simply ended at a wall.

“No sightseeing,” Maldynado said.

Books caught up as the men continued out of the cavern and into the tunnel, following the cart tracks again.

“The boss is waiting,” Maldynado added.

“Waiting...or captured,” Books muttered.

Basilard stopped, lifting a hand. A thump emanated from the passage ahead, then a scrape.

“Uh oh,” Maldynado said. “If that’s him, then it means Amaranthe might be...no longer in a position to distract him.”

“Let’s go back,” Books whispered. “You boys can hide on that ledge, and I’ll face him. Maybe he won’t know you’re there, and you can get a few shots off while he’s cursing at me for destroying his pump.”

“You sure you want to be the bait?” Maldynado asked as they jogged back to the cavern.

“No,” Books said. “Do you have a better idea?”

“No.”

“Then there’s no more to discuss, is there?” They entered the cavern again, and Books chose a spot in the middle.

“I don’t know,” Maldynado said as Akstyr and Basilard veered toward the ledge. “We could discuss strategy. Maybe you should try to look extra enticing so you keep his attention riveted.”

“How do you propose I do that?”

“Show some leg?” Akstyr caught the ledge and pulled himself on top.

Maldynado snickered. “Nah, this is Books. He’s more likely to entice someone by keeping his body fully covered.”

“Have I mentioned how grateful I am you lads came to rescue me?” Books asked.

“No.”

“Excellent.” Books shoved Maldynado toward the ledge.

The first bulky, hard-edged shadow appeared in the tunnel ahead. Others followed. Books did not see the shaman or anything human-sized.

Ker-thunk.

Metal glinted as it flew toward him. Books lunged to the side. A harpoon clattered down inches from his feet. Sparks flew as it skidded, snagged, then flipped end over end.

Books raced for the shelf. He jumped, caught the lip, and cleared the edge without so much as scraping a shin against the rock. He rolled and hit the back wall before coming to a stop.