The Emperor's Edge 2: Epilogue

In the boiler room of the pumping house, Amaranthe swept the last pile of dirt, hair, and walnut shells into a dust pan. Her weapons and packed rucksack leaned against the wall by the door.

Footsteps in the hall heralded Maldynado’s appearance. He swaggered in wearing his peacock-feather hat. “What’s the holdup, boss? Your party starts in an hour.”

Amaranthe dropped the dust pan. “My what?”

“Your birthday party. We’re having it at The Pirates’ Plunder. Their establishment wasn’t affected by the riots, and the Madame is willing to lend us the attic for the shindig. It’ll be private—no chance of running into pesky soldiers or enforcers. Basilard is working with a caterer. We’re going to make it the event of the season!”

“Just so I’m clear...you thought a brothel would be a suitable place to host a birthday party for a woman?”

“Books said almost that exact same thing, but I know you’re not the uppity type. And this is a great place. If you want a pretty man, I can arrange that. They service all types. It’ll be grand, you’ll see.”

“The fact that the pumping house was searched while we were out means we need to find a new hideout. Don’t you think that should take priority?”

“Over birthday parties?” Maldynado asked. “Absolutely not. You have five minutes to finish up, or I’m going to pick you up and—”

Sicarius strode in, an envelope in his hand.

“Ah, me and the boys will meet you up top when you’re ready.” Maldynado hustled out.

Sicarius did not acknowledge him. He handed Amaranthe the envelope. “A youth delivered this.”

“I’m getting mail again? Another sure sign it’s time to leave this hideout.”

“Agreed.”

While she unfastened the seal, she asked, “Speaking of mail...what was on that paper in the ore cart?”

Sicarius closed the door. “The note was addressed to Basilard—to the Mangdorian in the assassin’s party specifically. It contained a request to let Ellaya know the shaman died, so she could send word to his family.”

“Huh. They must have been close. I wonder if he ever resented her for giving his name to Forge and getting him involved in all this. I know Tarok wanted you, but I don’t think he wanted all those deaths on his hands.” Amaranthe shook her head. It mattered little now. “Perhaps we should go to the gambling house and deliver that message to Ellaya. I’m curious if she had more to do with all this than matchmaking. After all, one of those dead dam workers was a customer of hers.”

“She’s gone,” Sicarius said.

“What? You didn’t, ah…”

“I went to ensure she would not be a further threat to us,” he said. “The gambling house was closed, and no one knew where she’d gone.”

So much for that idea. “What else was on the note?”

Sicarius gazed steadily at her.

“You glared at Basilard, so I know there was more.”

“It also contained my name and a plea to Basilard to avenge the Mangdorian people.”

“I see,” Amaranthe said. “Let’s hope it won’t be a problem, since he didn’t see the note.”

“If it becomes a problem, I’ll deal with it.”

She grimaced, knowing exactly what he meant. She hoped it was not something she would have to worry about for a while. For now...

Amaranthe pulled two sheets of paper out of the envelope. The first surprised her with calligraphy, an artistic border, and an official stamp from Enforcer Headquarters. “It’s a pardon for Books.”

The second paper held a letter.

Lokdon:

We found makarovi bodies downstream, as you described. I do not trust you or your intentions, but it does seem your people assisted in this matter. I’ve arranged the pardon for your man. The emperor’s seal is on your bounty, so no enforcer can lift that one.

Captain Branchok and I were called into a meeting with Emperor Sespian and his advisors. When questioned, Branchok said his men handled everything. It would have been wise of me to agree, but it’s not in my nature to suffer lies in silence. I explained your presence and the possibility your men destroyed the device in the lake and killed the foreigner responsible. Captain Branchok called me a liar. The emperor would not believe Sicarius caused anything but trouble, but he did seem to think you might have honorable intentions.

I’m not certain what repercussions my statements will have on my career. I made an enemy of Captain Branchok. You’ll forgive me if I hope I never see you again.

~Yara

Amaranthe showed the note to Sicarius, hoping he would not be disappointed in Sespian’s response. When he lifted his eyes, she said, “You can’t expect him to change his opinion of you overnight, but it’s a start, right? He’s aware you were there and that the plot was thwarted.” Though it did not seem anyone knew Forge had ultimately been involved. Nor did Amaranthe know the person in that organization responsible—research for another day.

“A start, yes.” Sicarius returned the note. “The others are right: you’d have an easier time clearing your name if I wasn’t around.”

Erp, when had he heard them say that? She did not like the sound of his comment either: less like one of his statements of fact and more like an offer to disappear. Emperor’s warts, he did not need to develop a selfless streak now.

“I’d be dead a dozen times over if you weren’t around,” Amaranthe said, “so don’t even think of leaving. One day, we’re going to walk into Sespian’s office to have tea with him. Together.”

Sicarius studied her for a while, then inclined his head once.

“In the meantime,” she said, “I don’t suppose you’d like to go to The Pirates’ Plunder and loom threateningly by my shoulder to ward off...whatever entertainment Maldynado has planned for me?”

“I thought I’d stand back and see what you do with the eye patch he bought you.”

Amaranthe blinked. “I... I’m never sure if I’m reading you right.”

His eyes glinted. “Good.”

---------------------------------

You can buy this book and the rest in the EMPEROR'S EDGE series at Amazon, Kobo, Smashwords, iTunes, and Barnes & Noble. Please stop by my site (www.lindsayburoker.com) if you'd like to sign up for my newsletter and get a note whenever I release something new. You're also welcome to find me on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ and say hi. Thanks for reading!