❅ Chapter 15 ❅

I was plagued by nightmares.

I lay on the couch of my old tent, the one I'd shared with Sebastian, and instantly wondered where he was. I sat up and glanced around. There is no sound, no snoring coming from Sebastian, no snickering and gossiping from beyond the skin of the tent, and no howl of wind. The world was silent.

A formal, full-length ball gown in white, was waiting for me on my bed, wrapped in clear plastic. A note was secured to it in fine yellow ribbon. I tiptoed over to it, my heart flip flopping in my chest when I saw the note had my name written on it in fancy calligraphy. I untied the ribbon and opened the note.

Neva,

This was my mothers. Follow the owl.

Your Betrothed

My betrothed? Now my heart was hammering. I reached out with a shaky hand and touched the plastic covering the gown. It was smooth under my fingers, and cold, as if it had been laying out overnight in mid winter. I gulped, gripping the plastic and letting it slide off the gown.

The dress was enough to take my breath away. It was strapless, made from organza and satin, with a sweetheart bodice that had been thoroughly embroidered and crystal-beaded down through the asymmetric dropped waistline. The fully draped and caught up skirt was accented with asymmetric ruffles and diamonds, finishing with a semi-cathedral train of lace. A pair of white satin gloves sat beside the dress, along with a small silver box. I opened it. Inside lay an amulet that made my body shiver and tense all at the same time. My mother's amulet. Gently, I looped my finger around the chain and brought it into the light.

The entire galaxy winked at me through the glass, and my mouth seemed unnaturally dry. The necklace seemed to call to me, chanting an unnerving tune: Put me on, around your neck. With this ring, comes your death.

I didn't want to, but I couldn't help myself. It was as if some other entity had taken over my body, and all I could do was watch in horror as I slid its silver chain around my neck. The amulet sat in the hollow of my throat, and it was surprisingly warm - so warm it almost burned. I continued on, slipping out of my nightgown and into the wedding dress, despite my best efforts. My hands and fingers were sliding across the buttons and gems without my consent.

I slipped my fingers into the gloves.

A hoot came from the corner of the room, and my head snapped up. Foster's white owl sat perched on one of the dining room chairs. Its eyes were of the void, black pits that stared straight through me. It blinked and hooted again, this time puffing out its chest and spreading its wings. It kicked off the wooden chair and flew through the slit of the tent and into the night. Silently, I followed.

I wasn't walking fast, but I somehow kept up with the owl. It gave the occasional coo and glanced down in my direction.

My feet glided over the hard ground, padding over the grass and dirt. There was no snow like I remembered, which was a strange yet pleasant surprise. I missed the past fall and all the promise it brought.

The owl took a sharp turn, breaking from the path in the center of camp and towards the shadowed, looming woods in the distance. It hovered for a while, waiting for me to catch up. I altered my course, following the bird up the steep knoll and into the dense underbrush.

The owl was gone.

With the owls disappearance, I seemed to be snapped out of my trance, and the amulet burned into my skin.

"Shit!" I hissed, ripping the amulet from my skin, breaking the silver chain. It landed on the ground with a soft thud.

It was glowing, I realized, with an icy blue light. It was bright and harsh on the eyes, like a lightning bolt that never dimmed. There's was a deep cracking sound, and the aumlet broke open, spilling the night sky onto the earth like black ink. It bubbled and pooled at my feet, the sticky substance surprising warm to the touch. It slowly began to climb up my legs, consuming me and the dress in black oil.