❅ Chapter 18 ❅

Luckily for me, my wish did come true; the day was better than the previous.

For once it was quiet. There were no screams, no bleats of terror or bays of hellhounds. The only sound was the howling wind outside.

I stayed in my room for the first half of the day, reading a book I found at the bottom of my dress trunk. When my finger's first wrapped around the leather cover, my heart sped up. When I pulled it out and realized it was a book, I assumed it wouldn't even be in my language, but I was happily proved wrong.

I didn't even bother getting out of my nightwear; I really didn't have the energy to either. All I wanted to do was stay in bed and sleep, but a good book was a pleasant distraction.

But it wasn't just a good book, it was a great book. Actually, I wouldn't even classify it as a book - more like a play with a fancy cover. I couldn't help myself, I got twisted up in a star-crossed lover tragedy that quickly took a sour turn when both main characters, Romeo and Juliet ended up dying.

It was a little past five in the evening when I finally emerged from my room like a hibernating bear. My stomach was growling like one too. I meandered my way into the kitchen, ignoring the snarls and hisses aimed in my direction from passing fae.

I browsed the cupboards, looking for anything edible but ended up coming empty handed. Come on Eve, where would fae store their food? But despite my best efforts, I couldn't find anything to eat, so I ended up going back to my room with my stomach still growling.

On my way, however, I just happened to walk up on a very heated conversation between my mother and Foster. I was rounding the corner leading to the stairway to my room, when their harsh whispers floated past my ears.

"...expect me to stay away from her!"

They were talking about me.

"I do, and you will. It's not time yet, and I will not have you jeopardizing this," my mother's voice was like white noise, hissing and full of static.

A snort sounded. "My apologies, Queen Maeve, but you can't expect me to send your daughter to the -"

"Do I need to remind you what I have locked away in the dungeon?" she hissed back, and Foster fell silent. I could practically hear his teeth grinding together. I wanted to actually see them, to maybe get a better understanding on what they were arguing about exactly. I leaned past the corner, peeking out.

Luck was not on my side.

I lost my balance, bending too far to the right and almost toppled over. Thank God I caught myself, but my foot banged against the wall, and the loud sound resonated off the icy floors and glass windows.

"We are not alone," my mother said.

My cheeks seared as I stepped out, my cover blown. When Foster's burning gaze met mine, the bright bloom in my cheeks traveled to my neck and ears, and I felt as if my entire body was lit up like a beacon.

"I didn't - I wouldn't ..." I started, but it was no use. They knew I was eavesdropping, so there was no point in hiding it. "I'm sorry."

A small smile spread across my mother's beautiful lips. "It's all right, my darling girl. Foster and I were just finished."

Foster didn't need much more to know she had dismissed him. He bowed curtly, shooting daggers at my mother. His eyes flicked to me for a brief moment before he turned on his heel and stalked out of the hall.

She took a deep breath and waved him off. "He's very over dramatic. I assume he got that from his father."

I walked towards her, sinking further into the hall. My cheeks still burned, but if she was willing to forget what just happened, I would be stupid not to. But how could I? It was obvious they were whispering about me, and what did my mother have hidden in the dungeon?