❅ Chapter 21 ❅

Foster left me alone with Sebastian, but he made me promise I wouldn't make any sounds when Cleon was brought down, dragged by passive, uncaring soldiers . Of course I agreed, though I had no intention of actually keeping to my word.

When we were alone, Sebastian and I did no talking. Nothing was said. Instead, I crept up slowly, trying my best not to spook him, and sat beside him to keep him company.

At first he was suspicious, his bright, molten eyes peering out at me from under his midnight bangs, never leaving my face. After half an hour or so, he became uninterested and laid down, curled into a ball, and before I knew it his familiar snores filled the confined area of his cell, bouncing off the stone walls and echoing around me.

In sleep, he looked like my old Sebastian, his face looked calmer, more at peace, and I had to fight the urge to stroke his face - to feel his safe and imperfection free skin. My eyes automatically sought out the small moon tattoo under his eye, and sooner rather than later tears began falling silently to the floor.

I did that. No matter what anyone said, I didn't think I'd ever forgive myself for what I'd done to the Count of Night. If it wasn't for me, he wouldn't be here. I should've known not to get so attached - to let us both fall so hard. I should've been the strong one and said no.

"I'll make it up to you," I whispered in the darkness, my words falling on deaf ears. "I'll get you your memories back. I promise."

He didn't answer of course, and I didn't need him to. I felt a strange feeling of purpose, and I was going to do right by Sebastian from now on.

* * * * * * *

I waited until the soldiers brought Cleon down, just like Foster said they would. Just hearing her grunting and cursing brought my blood to a boil. Her scales were slick with dark blue blood, looking almost like oil on her body. There was no way I was going to let them behead her. If I had to, I'd use my powers and murder them all, and still be able to sleep tonight.

Luckily for the unsuspecting soldiers, they didn't go through with the beheading. Instead they just tossed a beaten and bloody Cleon into a cell while I stayed crouched in the corner of Sebastian's cell.

When the last of the soldiers filed out of the room, I rushed over a sleeping Sebastian and kissed his exposed temple. He flinched, but didn't wake. 

Tiptoeing, I made my way to the door, cringing when it squeaked as I opened it.

My feet were bare, making minimal sound as I crept towards Cleon's cell. When I reached it, however, her back was hunched and facing me.

"I'll never tell you," she hissed. "You'll have to kill me first."

I had to smile at her loyalty. So feisty. "Now why in the world would I kill you? It would solve nothing."

At the sound of my voice, Cleon spun, her long spiny tail swishing behind her. Her slitted yellow eyes went round as she spotted me. "You stupid girl! What are you doing here? You're going to get yourself killed!"

I couldn't help but chuckle. "It's nice to see you too."

She bared her teeth in my direction. "This is no times for games, you need to go!"

"I'm not going to leave you."

She shook her head. "You have to. They went to go get the queen for further questioning! If she see's you down here, she'll know that Foster is the mole. You're jeopardizing everything!"

Soon footsteps sounded, causing my heart to accelerate, but I wasn't going to let her go through this alone. I was going to die anyway, right? My mother was going to kill me in a few days, so what was the point? I might as well die for something I believed in.