It's Alive! "Keep Your Quiet Times" part 2

What Is A Quiet Time?

     We have been talking about keeping your relationship with Jesus ALIVE and about what a relationship with Jesus really is. We know that it is not a bunch of rules, but what is a quiet time? It is an intimate, face-to-face, heart-to-heart connection with God through His Son, Jesus Christ. A quiet time is the time when you actually build your relationship with Jesus. Specifically, it is a time for you to get up everyday and read the Bible and pray and get closer to Him. 

     A lot of people think, I prayed a prayer, but I don't feel close to God, or I felt really close to God when I was at the youth camp last summer, but now I don't feel very close to Him. You're not going to feel close to anybody if you're not spending time with him.

     If you were married and didn't spend time with your wife, the two of you would not grow any closer. Actually, you would grow farther and farther apart.

     A quiet time is an expression of your commitment to say, "Lord, I'm going to make sure that I don't accidentally get farther and farther away from You. In fact, I'm going to use this time to get closer to you. I'm going to use it as a time to get fed by You and to get filled up with You and to understand more of You.

     Look at John 10:11-16

     "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the hired shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.  *v. 14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me -- just as the Father knows me and I know the Father -- and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 

    In this passage, Jesus describes the kind of relationship He wants. He compares it to the relationship between a shepherd and his sheep.

     Now a shepherd and his sheep have a very intimate relationship. Maybe you have this relationship with your pet dog or cat -- it knows your voice when you call its name. A shepherd's voice is very clear to his sheep. A Shepherd walks and hangs out with his sheep. He takes them to different mountains where he knows there is good grass for them, and he really watches them.

     Jesus says He wants the same relationship with you. He wants you to hang out with Him long enough to learn His voice. He doesn't want you to be a stranger He sees only twice a year at Christmas and Easter. He wants to see you often. He wants you hanging out with Him so much that you are listening to the things that He has to say.

     A quiet time is a time for you to do just that. You get into the Bible, pray, and just hang out with Him. You pray about the things He puts on your heart, and He speaks back to you. You start your whole day by getting close with Him. 

     A WorldChanger is committed to having quiet times and to keeping quiet times, no matter what. It doesn't matter how busy you are. It doesn't matter what happens to your schedule. You are compelled to say, "I have to get up. I have to pray because I have to get fed. I have to get close to my Shepherd, and I don't care what other people do. If I don't get fed from Him today, I will die.

*****

Jesus' Habit Of Having A Quiet Time

Mark 1:35