Beach Boys

Beach Boys

Avery’s P.O.V.

    My shoes squished with every step as they slapped the sidewalk, and my short auburn hair was soaked due to the lack of a coat. The rain was pouring, but I kept my pace. Today was the final day of school for the Juniors at Bellingham High. Everyone was squealing and giddy over their summer plans, while I sat in the lonely back corner of the room feeling sorry for myself. I examined the banana slugs as they wiggled themselves up from the flooding ground, if only it were that simple to flee from problems. Soon, I saw my house in the distance, it’s brick stature was the only thing keeping it standing in the harsh weather, and the white paint on the front door was chipping away painfully slow. Either way, it was still my house. My dad and I lived there together all year round, well, that is until he has to leave. Four or five times a year, my dad goes to travel to big, bustling cities for his work. It’s come to the point now where I don’t even remember what he does for a living. I grabbed the golden door knob, and twisted it with all my might as the creaky door slowly opened. “Dad, I’m home,” I called throughout the silent house. No response. I kicked off my shoes, they made puddles on the wood floor.Walking into the kitchen, I cringed at the scene, plates piled dangerously high in the sink and dirty napkins littered the floor. Guess I’m the cleaning crew for today. I bent down to pick up a soiled napkin, when dad came sprinting in.

“Avery! Stop what you’re doing, and pack your bags!” He exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, bringing the dirty napkin carefully to the  overflowing trashcan.

“Well, Daddy has to leave for Hong Kong for work, and I don’t feel right leaving you here all alone this time-”

“Does that mean you’re taking me with you?” I interjected hopefully.

“Not this time dear, but I am sending you to LA!” He paused, waiting for my reaction.

“Huh?”

“LA, you know: sunny, glamourous, the beach is your backyard-”

“Yea, yea I know LA, but why are you sending me there of all places? Wouldn’t I be all alone?!”

“Well yes, but you have street smarts and pepper spray, a girl needs nothing more,” He explained pushing up his specs.

“What about somewhere to stay?”

“I’ll rent you out an apartment while you’re there. Come on Avery, live a little,” His eyes were hopeful and sure of his genius plan.

I sighed, “Fine, but I expect pizza delivered for dinner tonight.”

He raised his right hand, “Done. Oh and by the way, we leave tomorrow.”

In defeat, I trudged up the stairs, my wet clothes making me feel like I weighed ten pounds heavier. Why did I agree to this? I’ve never been anywhere but here. Street smarts? Please, I get lost on the treadmill. But still, LA. That could be fun, maybe I can actually get a tan for once instead of being so pasty white. This trip couldn’t be too bad, right?

Slowly, I lugged my weighty suitcase out from the dusty attic. It’s been awhile since I had seen it last  because I didn’t recall it’s  obnoxious color of pink, and neon blue. Carefully, I pulled the old, rusty zipper, unsure of it’s stability. When I had finally conquered my opponent, it was time to pack. Truthfully, I didn’t have anything suitable to wear. A girl from Washington doesn’t have beach clothes, I only own a heap of sweaters and jeans. Rummaging through my closet, I found a couple things that could suffice. Some shorts, worn out sandals, and my prized collection of soda logo tees.