Chapter 25

Chapter 25

The bell rang, vibrating against my ear drums as Mr. Richter called out for everyone to stop their writing and to put their pencils down. "The test is now over. On your way out, please leave your exams on my desk."

I stood up from my desk, handing in my final exam before stepping out the classroom to find Cooper waiting for me by the doorway. "Hey," he grinned, "so how do you think you did?"

"I think I did pretty well," I smirked, "all thanks to you."

Cooper chuckled, smiling down at me sheepishly. "Well, I want to thank you too for helping me study. I'm pretty sure I got at least a passing grade because of you."

"Well, it's been my pleasure." I joked.

Cooper grinned, biting his lip as the hallways cleared. "So, prom is tonight."

I nodded, gesturing towards one of the many prom posters that were taped on the walls of our school. "So I've heard."

"Where do you want me to pick you up?" Cooper asked, suddenly taking a step closer to me.

I felt my heart beat picking up, but it wasn't because I was nervous. It was because I was scared- I had no idea what Cooper's intentions were.

"Um, well I'm going to get ready with Julianne, so you could meet me at her house and we could all go to prom together." I said.

Cooper smiled, taking a strand of hair and tucking it behind my ear before he allowed for his fingers to brush gently against my cheek.

I couldn't help but think of how Jace used to do the exact same gesture to me.

"Great, then I'll see you tonight."

Cooper departed down the hall, as I watched his figure grower smaller and smaller with each step he took.

Stepping out from around the corner of the hall was Jace, who wore a dejected expression as he strode past me.

For the past few months, I've mastered the ability to not be affected by Jace's presence. However, it was different this time. I felt my heart strings being tugged at as I came to the realization that whatever relationship Jace and I shared was now gone.

*

"Everly, what's taking so long in there?" Julianne knocked against the bathroom door as I struggled to secure the strap of my silver heels. "You better not be messing up your hair! That took me an hour to do!"

"I'm not!" I ensured. I took a step back from the full-length mirror Julianne kept in her bathroom, and eyed myself from head to toe. The emerald color of my floor length dress seemed even richer against my pale skin. The strapless gown was adorned with golden, crystal specks all over the bodice, cinching at the waistline. From there on, the silky, green fabric of the dress flowed effortlessly past my feet.

Needless to say, I was very thankful that I found such a fitting dress a week before the prom.

"I am seriously going to bust this door open if you don't come out in ten seconds." Julianne threatened. "I need to pee!"

I chuckled, twisting the doorknob to find Julianne slumped against the wall, still in her pajamas. With the time I took to get dressed in her bathroom, Julianne had curled her hair and twisted it into a low side bun.

Without saying a word Julianne rushed into the bathroom and slammed the door behind her. "You look really pretty in that dress, by the way!" she hollered.