Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                To say that Jace Wasson’s house was larger than the average was a complete understatement. His entire house looked like it came straight from the Hollywood Hills neighborhood. The Wasson’s residence had gates revolving around the house, and I was pretty sure that the garden in front of the house with rose bushes wasn’t something Jace’s mother liked to work on during her spare time. Walking along the stoned pavement that must’ve been specifically designed to meet the Wasson’s desires, I followed Jace up to the front steps of his house. Jace stuck a key into the lock of his French door, twisted the doorknob to allow me inside.

               “Would you close your mouth already before you catch flies?” Jace teased lightly, closing the front door behind him. “You’ve had his dazed look in your eye since you’ve stepped out of the car.”

                I snapped back into reality, still realizing that despite how extravagant Jace’s house was, he was still a jerk. I shot him a glare from the corner of my eye, scoffing. “Can you blame me?” I asked. “You told me you were bringing me to your house, not Paris Hilton’s vacation home.”

                “Hate to break it to you, princess, but this is house.” Jace smirked.

                I grumbled, rolling my eyes. “Do you have to call me that?” I snapped.

I reached down to pull my shoes off, not wanting to ruin anything in Jace’s house. Everything looked so fragile yet expensive. I glanced over at the decorative vase by the corner of the entrance room, wondering if that little vase would even cost half of everything I owned. Before I could take off my shoes though, Jace stopped me, shaking his head. “That won’t be necessary.”

                I raised an eyebrow, suddenly confused while I stared down at my beat up canvas shoes that I’ve own for at least a year now. They weren’t exactly beat up and disgusting, but at the same time, they weren’t in the same mint condition they were when I’d first purchased them. “Why not?” I asked. “I’m going to get stains all over your floor.”

                “Don’t worry about it.” Jace assured. “Keep your shoes on. I’m pretty sure those Hello Kitty socks you’re wearing will give me an eyesore after a while.”

                A gasp escaped my lips as I turned to shoot Jace an accusing glare. “Excuse you, but these happen to be my favorite socks.”

                “I’m still trying to figure out why a child like you is tutoring someone more mature like me.” Jace chuckled, running a hand through his hair. Before I got to argue back with him, he interrupted me, signaling for me to follow him. “Do you want to study in my room?”

               We were already halfway up the grand, spiral staircase when Jace asked me. My cheeks suddenly turned bright red, and I silently thanked God that I was walking behind Jace. Otherwise, he would’ve seen me blush, and we all know that I would never hear the last of that if he did. “Y-Your room?” I asked hesitantly. “Are you sure?”

                Once we were in the hallway, approaching his room, Jace turned to me with a malicious smirk. “What? Don’t tell me you’ve never been in a guy’s room before.”

                “O-Of course I have!” I stuttered. “There’s Jeremy, Benjamin, Logan-,”

                “Relatives don’t count.” Jace cut me off abruptly, leaning against his door teasingly while he crossed his arms over his chest.