Chapter 11

Revelin's sour mood continued into the next day. In the back of the burned building, he grumbled to himself and if not held a large grin on his face. Vi watched him from the sidelines, her red cloak wrapped around her, her eyes longing to console him, but unable to do so without receiving retribution. A blind man could see they were getting closer, but with each door he opened to her, there were another two closed.

Her mood brightened considerably when she watched Fae flip me off for leaving only a note. The thin girl looked away from me, her arms cross and her nostrils flaring. Her brother stood in front of her, looking at me only for a few seconds at a time. I still didn't know what his voice sounded like.

“Just get to your post, Fae. We need eyes on the perimeter before we start.” She left in a huff, heated air in her wake. Today was not going to be a good night, that was for sure. The thrill of their praise and the thoughts of who we were taking down, those would not clear up the atmosphere.

“Happy Birthday, Revelin.” Vi watched him with a slight, nervous smile on her lips, hope in her eyes that made my heart ache.

He turned to her, his expression impassive, but an uneasy aura about him that tumbled back and forth like a ship in storm-ridden water. He looked away suddenly. “That was yesterday.”

“Your old enough to drink legally now,” she added. “I was thinking after this we could go get some cake and beer to celebrate. There's a really nice hill just off of campus where you can see the entire city.”

“No thank you, Vi. I have work I have to get done tonight.” He returned to pacing with his hands clasped behind his back like a brooding king. For a second I'm sure I saw his mood lighten, but as soon as he spoke a storm crossed his eyes.

I glanced at my watch and saw that we had planned to start in five minutes. My frown deepened. Fae should have been back by now, but she wouldn't rid herself the opportunity to annoy me. The act was equivalent to siblings constantly poking each other, the only reason I was glad that my late sister had been five years older than me. Revelin noticed too and told me that these were the troubles that came from fraternizing with the help. I suppose if any of us knew anything about hiring help, it'd be Revelin.

“Look, I don't know what she's up to, but we've got to start.” Vi scowled but approached the curtain where the din of the crowd pressed against the torn, soot covered fabric. I stood and followed her as Revelin tagged along and pressed my mask onto my face. Light drizzle pounded on my head in at a slow rhythm.

I froze when I heard a shout. “Stop!” I had never heard a voice as loud as that, and the high pitched screech sent me to my knees, thoughts of fire and bullets making my stomach churn.

I was right. Just after that shout was the sickeningly loud shot of a gun. Screams rang sudden and loud from the crowd, surging for the entrance. Another shot rang wildly and Vi grabbed my arms, pulling me from the stage. I heard Revelin shouting something behind her, where we should go for cover. Our red cloaks were bullseyes, our masks targets.

Vi and I made it to the ground, our feet engulfed in the dirt and soot ground as the rain increased. Revelin appeared behind us, fear in his eyes stronger than I thought possible for him. And then I realized.

“Take Vi!” I pushed her in his direction, and, despite her confusion, he took her arm and ran to the back of the building. “I'll find Fae!”

“We can meet back at the dorm,” he told me, not needing to shout in order to be heard. There was another shot, painful to my ears and followed by a gut wrenching scream. I shook my shook my head, cursing myself for being so goddamn stupid. Against, the ice cold fear that coursed through my veins, holding my legs so solidly in place, I ran toward the gun shots.