Author's Note

Welcome readers, it's the great and powerful Napoleon speaking,

For those who haven't noticed, this novel, Wise Men, is one advocating political and social changes. It turns an eye to the plight of lower class citizens, the challenges of educating the middle class, and the problems inherent to unchecked political power.

On the first point, I'd like to focus America's relations with other countries. In third world or otherwise developing nations, such as Cuba, Venezuela, Iraq, and Iran, America has helped to foster social and political decline. Influxes of people from these nations poses not just a question on how many people should be allowed to come here, but how we can improve our relations with other nations to improve the lives of foreign citizens. During Bush Jr. presidency, our relations with the United Nations degraded. We must improve on these connections first, and the continue to mend our position with other nations. America, as a wealthy and stable nation, has the means and moral obligation to help troubled countries.

Additionally, on current immigration law, the new influxes of American citizens, and illegal residents, must be addressed in a humane and effective manner. Illegal immigrants are exploited because of their vulnerable position. Families are broken up due to deportation laws. Therefore, I support Obama's DREAM legislature, which allows more means of citizenship for children of legal and illegal immigrants.

Next, I'd like to look at America's secondary education and the middle class. Currently, college tuition runs so high that students leave school with insurmountable debt. Unable to get a job in our recovering economy, millions of students are bankrupt without a full time job. At the moment, aggregate total of student debt is in the trillions. On the other hand, those in the upper class can afford to go to colleges at their current price. A seemingly fair system only furthers the gap between the elite and the poor. A purely and unchecked capitalistic system fosters an educated elite because the middle class can't afford the education they need to improve their financial situation. This limit on social mobility borders on 1700's french aristrocracy.

While some believe that a socialized secondary education system would work, with the current job market it would do little more than increase the deficit. On a whole, a middle ground must be found which can improve the job market as well as lower student debt. A promising idea is to take 10% of a student's wage for their education. While this will require all students unable to pay to get a job, it would increase the work force in entry level jobs, support increases of minimum wage, and lower student debts.

On my last topic, I'd specifically like to note the Republican Party, though these problems can be seen in either of the two parties. A two party system creates a public which vote on party lines rather than by the candidate themselves. Because of this, politicians aren't bound by approval ratings to get their office. As seen in Congress, a seated poltiician can do no substiantial work while in Songress, but still win the next election. This is partially a result of public indifference and also a result of the electoral election system. A proposed solution would be a percetage base for electoral voters, rather than all-or-nothing.

Also, limitations must be put on Congress officials. They must be required to work a specified number of hours with less vacation days, sick days, and paid leave. As of recently, Congress took vacation for the month of September. When conflicts with Syria arose, Congress refused Obama's request to return and aid in the issue.

On another note, we have the rich of this country and our current prison system. Government prisons spend nearly 12,000 dollars per prisoner. They spend only 6,000 per public student. Additionally, privatized prisons take in government subsidies, making money per prisoner they keep. American also locks up more of its population, percent-wise, than Iraq. While the rich who make money on prisons at expense to education, we also must note that is is easier to arrest a poor person than a wealthy person.

It's safe to say that a rich man isn't likely to do drugs. Those who do, get heavily publicized for it, but are rarely arrested. Crimes more prevalent to the elite in this country are for business practices. lack of bank regulation led to the 2009 economic collapse. One thing Obama manged to do was put more restrictions on Wall Street. Still, risky and illicit business practices pose a threat to the entire nation; however, the businesses are only fined for their actions. More often than not the business will gain more from their crime than they lose. You can't say the same for inner city repeat offenders--drug use, theft, etc.--who are more a product of their environment than a 12,000 dollar governmental liability.

These issues are not at all the only ones. I'd like to think my novel covers a broad range of them. I could continue on an innumerable amount of other problems: minimum wage, farm subsidies, tax reform and "trickle down economics," and socialized healthcare. Allegorically, I wished to show how the rich elite rapes the poor. This is shown of course through the corrupt business man physically raping and killing an immigrant girl trying and failing to reach the American dream.

I'd like to think that one day we can reimagine the American dream--away from the common business elite who harbors little care for national benefits--to the rags-to-riches ideal of an educationed and motivated individual who has the opportunity to achieve anything, no matter their socio-economic backgrounds.

Anyway, I hope I've opened your eyes to at least some of the country's major isues. I hoped you enjoyed reading Wise Men!