Chapter 16

I couldn't help but imagine Vi on the first train out of the city. I didn't want to see her on a dingy subway nor did I like the idea of her all alone in a taxi. Yet, even surrounded by people on a comfortably furninshed train car, she must've felt completely and utterly alone.

Waiting at the food court, I saw Revelin emerge like a lion from his den. Against his upbringing, it was unkempt and fell like a mane against his neck. But there was a shadow in his eyes, as though that brilliant flame which drove him cast flickering shades against the walls. In each shadow was another death, next to those the loss of Vi. He stalked over to the fountain, his dark light stark contrast to the elegant sparkling of the crystalline waters.

He told everyone that the seige would end today. Our supporters crowded together in groups, as though looking for comfort in each others warmth. The ebb and flow of red in the crowd was dizzying; so I looked away. They feared death, an end to what they held dear—but even worse, they feared the unknown. Perhaps we could have guess the ending of this day, but no one wanted to. We didn't need another fear to grip us, to smother us into cold inaction. I already felt I couldn't breathe. The air was thick like syrup, tense as before a storm.

Revelin stood on the edge of the fountain. He paused a moment, for once he had to think about what he wanted to say. He opened his mouth to speak several times, but closed it when the words refused to flow off his silver tongue. Finally, he said:

“Thank you.” He took a breath. “All of you. You've all come here and supported this despite the risk... And for that, I'd like to give everyone here a choice.

“I've asked the policemen to gather firearms, almost enough for everyone here. I plan to leave here fighting. Anyone who wants to leave now, please come to the front. I will ask the governor to let you leave safely. After that...” he looked down at his feet for a moment, “I don't know what's going to happen. I just ask that you extend whatever irrational sense of justice that told you to follow me and take it a step further.”

The crowd stirred like the undercurrent of a river. A few men and women pulled away from the crowd, but within a few minutes there was no more movement. Revelin nodded, a somber recognition. From his breastpocket, he pulled out his phone and dialed a number.

“Hello, sir. This is Revelin Lesage. I'd like to speak to the governor.” For the first time this day, I saw the corner of his mouth curl. “Yes, you heard me correctly. Thank you, sir.” he shut his eyes for a moment, a thousand more on him as he exhaled. “Mr. Governor, I have seven people here who would like to leave peacefully. I'd be much obliged if you collected them without any bloodshed. I might even donate to the public fund. Yes, yes, sir, I think one point five million would just about cover that."

~*~*~

We had no plan. The state militia had surrounded the mall. We had nothing to protect us. The state had bulletproof vests and helmets. We had only enough guns for half of our people while the others were equipped with baseball bats and hammers. They had more than one firearm per man and would never run out of ammo.

Revelin and I stood at the front of the charge. The gun was heavy and cold in my hands. My palms sweat; my fingers were slick around the trigger. I had held a gun only a few times before and never for more than a few moments. I could feel the breaths of many on the back of my neck, wondering how I could managed to take another man's life knowing so many who had died the same.

“Remeber why we're here, Christian.” Revelin whispered to me. He held a similar gun at hand, but when he held it, there was an air of nobility that cloaked him. Only if he wore a blue military uniform with gold buttons could he have looked more regal. “Remember all of the people we're doing this for.”