Wave 2

The power never came back on, but that was the least of our problems. As we sat in the darkness two days later, the house began to shake. Well, shake is an understatement. Dad thinks it was the most powerful earthquake this world has ever seen. I think he's right.

He held onto me as the house raged alive, almost swallowing us. The furnitures moved across the room, then back again. Then, the ground opened up, water spurting out from the floor. 

"What's going on Dad?!" I screamed as the water begin to fill up our house. 

"Hold on!" Dad grabbed me and begin to swim upstairs, climbing on to anything he can get a hold of. "Stay still, it'll be alright," he sounded like he was trying to calm himself down more, but I knew I needed to be brave. 

Holding on, I closed my eyes and waited for the earthquake to settle down. When I opened them, we were in the attic. Dad and I was on a sofa, floating around. 

"Is it over?" I trembled, cuddling myself into a ball. 

He gave no response, only staring in front of him. "It's only the beginning, Cass," he murmured, holding me close to his body, "it's only the beginning..."

The shaking was slow at first. However, it escalated faster than we could have ever thought possible. After a few minutes, we were being thrown back and forth violently; as if a giant itself was kicking at our door.My heart stopped as I heard a high pitched scream. My sister. Last time I checked, she was up in her room playing with her dolls. Mom and dad were sleeping, but I assumed they were awake now.I raced up the stairs as fast as I could, but the world was trembling and falling into pieces around me. It was like watching my life fall apart.I raced into her room, but she was nowhere to be found.

"I'm here! Where are you?" 

The shout sounded animalistic coming from my throat.Her squeals were coming from my room. Her foot was caught underneath a toppled bureau. Really, I don't know how I did it. It was like some kind of super human strength came over me, and I just lifted the bureau as if it was nothing. I sat with her and held her in my arms as she cried. 

"Shush, baby, we're okay." 

I told her. Mom and dad were there as well, and formed a protective barrier around us.

"W-w-why is everything shaking?" She asked as we were suddenly pitched to the side.

"I don't know." The words sounded so hollow, completely lacking hope. That's when the water rushed in. Dad heard it first. He ran down the stairs, before returning to us swiftly. 

"Water. Everywhere. Go. Attic. Now!" His words were choppy and panicked. 

Dad grasped my sister in his arms and we made our way up to the attic, which was the fifth level of the house. The water was rising so fast. It was up to my knees, and still coming. What happened? I thought worried. How can they do this? As soon as the trap door shut behind us, we collectively breathed a sigh of relief. We were safe. Or were we? And for how long?

CONTINUE THE STORY BY WRITING YOUR OWN CHAPTER ABOUT WAVE 3 IN THE COMMENTS BELOW. YOU COULD BE NEXT WEEK'S CO-AUTHOR.