Chapter Twelve

It was surprisingly quiet in the vet's office. Usually it was bustling with people. The receptionist didn't appear to be out front, either. Myrtle frowned.

A bell had sounded on the door when Myrtle walked in, so she figured someone knew she was there. She waited in the reception area for a minute or two. Finally, Lena strode into the reception area. "Oh. Mrs. Clover. Sorry to keep you waiting."

"No staff today?" asked Myrtle, looking around.

"Cindy had to take the afternoon off for a doctor appointment," said Lena brusquely. "What can I help you with?"

She certainly was one to always get to the point in a hurry. It was usually a trait that Myrtle admired, too. Just not so much when she was trying to get to the bottom of a mystery. Fortunately, Myrtle had the ability to get right to the point, too.

"Was Cindy also gone early this morning? I know your office opens early."

"We open at six for scheduled surgeries to get those completed before we open the doors for regular appointments," said Lena smoothly.

"And did you have surgeries this morning?" asked Myrtle.

"As a matter of fact, we didn't. Too bad, since we had several yesterday and will have a couple tomorrow. Some days it simply works out that way. I wish they could be more spread out." Lena examined Myrtle through narrowed eyes. "Why are you so curious about my surgery schedule? Have you found Pasha?"

"Not yet. Was Cindy helping this morning, then?"

Lena began to look impatient. "She wasn't, no. Why would she, with no scheduled surgeries? She came in late as a matter of fact. Why do you want to know?"

"Because Rose Mayfield was murdered early this morning in her home. I was curious where various people were during that time."

Lena took a small step back from Myrtle as if trying to distance herself physically from the implied accusation. "Well. I'm sorry to hear about Rose. But her death has nothing to do with me. I respected Rose and have known her for years. What possible reason could I have to want her dead?"

Myrtle said in a musing tone, "I suppose the only reason you'd want her dead is if she threatened to expose you for murdering Naomi Pelter. Then Rose would represent a risk to be eliminated."

Lena stared at her with her large, intelligent brown eyes set in her serious face. "Yes. If I'd murdered Naomi, and Rose indicated she was going to alert everyone, then I suppose I would want her out of the way. Of course, considering I had nothing to do with Naomi's death, it means that I'd never have murdered Rose." She gave Myrtle a piercing look. "Does Chief Clover realize that you're out here nosing around?"

And, with a cold certainty, Myrtle realized the danger that Lena Fowler presented. She was a lot like Myrtle, actually. She had a low tolerance for nonsense. And she'd believe that what Myrtle was doing was nonsense—and, possibly, something potentially harmful to herself. Lena would think nothing of picking up a phone and tersely informing Red that Myrtle was checking into these murders...just to shut Myrtle down.

Myrtle's realization must have played out on Lena's face because she said, more gently this time, "Good luck finding Pasha. I know you're worried about her, but I promise you that she's probably just fine. Cats can get disoriented if they're even slightly off their home turf so that's a possibility. She may not be sure how to get back home to you, even if she's geographically very close. Or else she might be lying low until the coast is clear. In either case, she's likely just fine. I'm sure I'll see you soon. At garden club, maybe?"