Chapter Fifteen

Pasha appeared content to stay inside the next morning. Myrtle fixed her a can of cat food, made sure her litter box was clean, and left her curled up on an afghan on her sofa. She'd wanted to let Red and Elaine know that Pasha was home safely. And perhaps encourage Red to pull down any flyers he saw around Bradley while he was making his rounds. After all, he'd be driving around anyway and what else did he have to do? It would be annoying to have people call her with Pasha sightings when Pasha was completely safe at home.

Myrtle found that Red had already left for the police station that day, but Elaine was home, busily cross-stitching as Jack played. It was good to see that Jack was back to his normal, happy self again. It was certainly a lot easier to be a doting grandmother when your grandchild had a sunny disposition.

"Pasha is home!" announced Myrtle, beaming.

"That's wonderful!" said Elaine with a happy gasp. She hugged Myrtle tightly and Jack came over to hug Myrtle's leg, simply because he liked hugs.

Elaine sat back down on the sofa and Myrtle sat down next to her. "Myrtle, I'm so glad! I know you've been worried sick about her. Does she look all right? Did someone find her? Or did she just come scratching on your door?"

Myrtle colored a little. "She does look all right. And, as a matter of fact, Miles found her."

"Miles?"

So Myrtle told Elaine the whole story.

"So y'all are friends again?" asked Elaine with a smile.

"Friends. Of course we were friends, even when we were mad—but we're friends who are speaking to each other again, which is much nicer. I have to hand it to Miles—his methodical nature, although it sometimes drives me crazy, actually helped to find Pasha."

"I'm just so, so glad," said Elaine with a relieved sigh. She picked up a square of cloth, pulled a needle out from where she'd tucked it into the square, and started diligently making stitches.

"How is the cross-stitching going?" asked Myrtle a bit warily. Elaine kept trying to find her true passion through various crafts. Judging by the results, she hadn't hit on it yet.

"Great!" said Elaine brightly. She brought the cross-stitch over for Myrtle to see. It was a pattern of a little owl sitting on a branch, looking wise.

Myrtle could tell that the owl's head was much bigger on one side than it was on the other. What's more, Elaine appeared to continue making xs on that lopsided part of the owl's head. Elaine seemed to be waiting for her to say something about her artwork. Myrtle cleared her throat. "How cute! Yes. Very cute. Ahh...good job."

She was relieved to see that Elaine was taking the warped owl away again and was now putting it on a nearby table. A cloud passed over Elaine's face and Myrtle frowned. Had her initial reaction to the owl been obvious?

But soon it became clear that Elaine had something else on her mind. "I'm glad you came by today, Myrtle—especially since Red isn't around this morning. There was something that was weighing on me a little and I thought you should know."

"That sounds serious," said Myrtle. "What is it? Nothing with your health, is it? Or Jack's or Red's?" Or the little owl's, since he clearly had a tumor on the side of his head?

"Nooo, no. Nothing like that, Myrtle. Rest assured." Elaine glanced away from Myrtle and seemed to be choosing her words with care. "Now promise me you won't let Red know I talked to you, because you know I don't want to get in the middle of any arguments between the two of you. I love both of you. Very, very much."