Chapter 11

Halley kept herself occupied with the duties of the household. As mistress of the estate she needed to organized things her way. Delegating task to the maids and informing the cook what to prepare was more stressful than she thought.

Some of the maids didn't approve of her and Halley found it difficult to do her work. She should have them fired and recruit new maids but decided to let them be for now.

Her lady's maid was a god sent and was every step of the way guiding her. Once the house was organized and the maids tasks assigned. She headed out to the stable in search of Peter.

Peter was shaking like a leaf upon seeing her. He had thought she came to fire or punished him but after seeing her warm friendly smile and having her reassurance that he would be the last person to be fired. He opened up to her and start talking about horses, when he was a kid, how he acquired the job and other silly things.

Halley had not laugh so much since her arrive." Peter, I didn't know you have such and active imagination. A black and blue rabbit? " Halley laughed as she continue brushing the horse's mane.

"Oh miss but is true I did see it." He reply eagerly placing the tools in the stable in the corner where they belong.

"Remember to always keep them there." She instructed sternly pouting her lips making the boy laugh.

Halley continued to brush the horse's mane. Humming a tune her mother thought her as a child. She still didn't know why her parents married her off so soon. Maybe they couldn't afford to feed Timothy and her both. She adore her parents even though they were so eager to get rid of her. She knew it was for the best.

Halley began to feel something wiggling under her feet and scream as step away, rapidly stomping her feet. Lifting her skirt she saw a ball of fur wiggling its tail at her. Peter quickly ran and scoop it up in his arms.

" I'm sorry miss,I didn't mean to keep them." He panicked.

Halley eyes widen." There is more of them?"

Peter hung his head as he began to make circles in the ground with his foot." I'm sorry master told us that he didn't want any pets on his estate."

"Oh and you thought I would share the same feelings?" Halley said with a smile." I love puppies!" She took the pup from his arms and held it close to her chest.

"You're the best mistress ever!" Peter exclaimed pulling her further in the stables where the other puppies and their mother lay in beds of hay.

***

"I'm so tired Chevon." Halley whined as she sat on the settee in her bedchamber cuddling the small brown puppy in her arms.

Chevon who was busy changing the sheets on the bed looked up and smile at Halley." You'll get use to it. Where you got the pup?"

"Outside in the stables. She is a little weak and can't seems to feed with the other two strong ones pushing her,so I'm taking care of her." Halley smile as she handed an eager looking chevon the pup.

" She is so cute,what's her name?"

"Pumpkin."

Joshua sat tapping his fingers against his desk. He hadn't found anything in his father's private study ,who is yet to be seen since the day of the wedding. Laying back in the chair in a Slough position he thought if his father did steal this baby why didn't he just turn her in to form peace between the countries?

He sigh as he sat up straight. Work need to be done. He began opening the letters that arrived since yesterday. Reaching the bottom he saw a letter with the Duke of Nottingham stamp, with a groan he open it.

An invitation of engagement? Are all his friends getting married in the same year? He sigh as he ring for the Butler.

" Regin does Lady Fisher have anything suitable to wear to a ball?" He enquired with a sigh.

"I don't think she does my lord" the Butler replied.

"I have learnt that you were the one that picked out her wedding dress and the other gowns. How did you know her size?"

The Butler smile. It was a very odd day shopping for ladies attire. Who knew that they wear so many clothing? He wasn't uncomfortable at all having three daughters and two grand daughters how could he?

" Your father told me to choose the smallest size considering the young ladies situation then." Joshua had found out that Halley's father went bankrupt a year ago and was struggling to meet basic needs. Hence the reason why he was so eager to give away his daughter.

Joshua nodded.

He then stood and turn facing the window. His wife has been through alot and he needed to stop these petty arguments." Regin,I was just about to head into town,I'll pick up a gown for my wife."

The Butler smile to himself. They would soon be madly in love. It was only a matter of time." As you wish my lord." He bowed before turning on his heels and exit the study.

***
Don't forget to vote and comment :)
Mwah