Chapter Seven

In the days that followed, no one popped up unexpectedly -which all the brothers usually loved to do- and no one visited me.

I was worried about Tristan, but I guess he could handle himself. Honestly, it was kind of a relief not having to worry about random visits from the brothers.

But at the same time, I longed for company. Human company.

The only person that did see me was one of Flynn's slaves, a man named Taylor.

But he only came to bring me food and water, and he didn't say a word to me at all. It was weird. He was just like Ronan, as if he had been programmed like a robot. He was just as void of emotions, just as much like a zombie. Plus, he wasn't great company.

What did Flynn do to his slaves? Would I end up like that too? I shuddered at the thought.

I hated myself for thinking of other people as slaves, because it felt like it was accepting that fate, too. And there was no way that was going to happen, even if that thinking gets me killed.

~~~

After two more days with seeing no one except a lifeless Taylor, finally I decided enough was enough. I wasn't going to be kept prisoner any longer.

I made my way towards the door, I realised the probability of the door being unlocked was not very high. I'd tried it everyday, and it was always locked. So why would today be any different?

I was proved wrong. The door handle turned and the door swung open, catching me by surprise. Weird, had someone just been careless?

I hurriedly packed a bag with some clothes and essentials then rushed back to the doorway.

The hallways was eerily quite, not a sound could be heard. Wow, it was just like a horror movie!

Still, I checked that no one was in the corridor. When I was certain no one was around, I quietly stepped over threshold and out into the corridor.

There was not a sound, save for my breathing and erratic heartbeat which sounded as loud as a train in the silence.

As I wandered quickly and quietly down corridor after corridor, I remembered Joshua. He was too innocent, too sweet for me to leave here in a place like this. And honestly, he reminded me of my little sister.

Could I really leave a little boy here?

I had to save him. I had too. But how could I find him? Maybe it's best to just find the door and leave.

Then I got extremely lucky.

I walked around the next corner, and there, in front of me, was the front door. And toddling up the stairs towards me, holding some large bedsheets, was Joshua.

I sighed with relief. So I could save him too! All I had to do was convince him, which should be an easy task.

When he got to the top of the stairs, I knelt in front him. He gazed back at me with a puzzled expression, his round, brown eyes wide.

"Joshua, would you like to come with me? Away from the bad men that hurt you?" I asked, trying to talk quickly while making him understand. If I took too long, the brothers would realise I was trying to get away. Maybe they really were vampires...

I shook my head, ridding myself if the thought.

"Master will be sad with me! Master will hurt me if I go! You aren't with my Master, you got different Master" he said sadly, his speech patterns showing his youth.

"But you can come with me, Joshua. To a safe place!" I really wanted to save him, but time was running short. So I did something desperate. Something that if the brothers caught me, I'd be in extreme trouble.

"Tyson said you could come" I can't take it back now.

"Weally? Did he say I'm fwee?" He said excitedly, mispronouncing a couple of words in his childish joy.

"Yes, he did. Put those down" I said pointing to the huge sheets in his little arms. "Let's go"

He puts the sheets down and reached out his little hand to grasp my own. I had no idea where we were going, but as long as it was away from here, that's fine.

Together, hand in hand, we walked out of the mansion. Surprisingly, no one moved to stop us.

But I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

~~~

We'd been walking roughly an hour when Joshua started to complain about his feet hurting, so had to give him a piggyback. He was the sweetest little thing. He'd occasionally point out things, and name them. He must have been in that mansion a long time, he seemed so excited about everything.

"Look!" He'd shout pointing at a tree. "What's that?" I smiled. He was so cute, he reminded me so much of my sister, April.

She was always like this, so innocent, so kind. She uses to run up to me everyday after school when I picked her up and announce proudly to her friends, "That's my big sister!"

I used to give my her piggybacks like this, when she was this age. Her ninth birthday is next month... And I will be there to celebrate.

New determination filled me as I walked on.

Half and hour later, we stumbled across a small village, Joshua on my back, bag in hand.

People gave us funny looks, but I didn't care. They didn't know what we've been through.

We asked around if we could stay for the night. Everyone turned us away, giving us outraged looks and turning their noses up. Honestly, I understand not wanting me but a little boy? It was heartbreaking.

Finally, an old woman let us in, but only because she felt sorry for Joshua. I could see it in her eyes.

Inside, she had lots of pictures on her walls, many of two young boys. When she caught me looking, she scowled and offered us soup and blankets, as if she didn't want me to pry into her past.

I shrugged, and accepted the warm soup she was holding out for me. No point in offending her by asking questions she doesn't want to be asked.

After all, she was unknowingly protecting us from vampires.

Not that I believe in vampires... They were obviously just men with a weird fetish or something... I don't even know, and I certainly don't want to think about it.

~~~

That night, I was kept awake because I struggled to breathe. And there was nothing I could do. I didn't understand what was happening, I was so confused. Joshua slept soundly beside me, his small thumb in his mouth. Drool dripped onto his pillow, and he sighed in his sleep.

It was then that I remembered what Chase told me about if I go too far from him, and I remembered the cocky grin he'd flashed me.

I realised he'd won. I'd never be free of him... I'd have to go back. Or maybe, he already knew where we were...
______________________________________
Not keen on this chapter, but I was having a writers block :( hope it's okay, though