Chapter Seventeen

I wrote this chapter a few months back as the first chapter in this book, but I've changed it a little to fit with the story but I've not edited it, sorry!

Dizzy, I fell against the nearest tree, unable to hold my own weight in the haze that covered my vision. My legs were shaking so bad I had a hard time even staying in my feet with support from the tree trunk.

Urgh... my head is spinning and I had strong cravings for something I couldn't quite place, something I felt I desperately needed.

I hope my brothers realise I'm missing and come and find me, I know it sounds cliché but I can't get myself out of this situation alone.

I feel safer with them, but they're vampires even if they are my brothers, so why?

Because you trust them. And so you should. They're our brothers.

I clutched my hand in my hands, a sharp pain flashing across my scalp. What the hell was that? It was like someone was whispering in my head, but it was my voice. Am I losing my mind?

Don't be scared. We are the same person. I'm just the vampire version of you our parents sealed away. But it's almost time for me to return.

That made me flip out, I think I'm in the first stages of madness!

That's so creepy...

But the voice had said I'd return to being a vampire so soon... I can't even think about that right now.

I moved to place my other hand on the tree to help me stand up, but when I did, I panicked and screamed at what I saw.

Blood was dripping down the tree. And I don't mean a little bit. I mean a lot.

I yanked my hand away from the tree as if it had been on fire, and looked at the hand I'd put on the tree.

It was covered in a thick, sticky crimson liquid.

I collapsed, my knees going weak and failing me.

"Hey vamp girl! Are you okay?" Gwyn said loudly, leaning over me, but keeping her distance cautiously. As if I could try anything in this state. I was too shaken up to even clamber to my feet again!

I stayed silent and looked warily back at the tree, but it was just a normal tree, no blood. And there was nothing on my hand either.

"I was only trying to help. Bloody hell, you're rude!" Gwyn stood straight again and walked back to where Myra stood, which was a matter of a few metres away from my current position.

"What did you expect? She's been living with vampires" Myra said lazily, throwing a glare my way.

I stared at the ground for a few minutes still feeling sick. Chase is bound to know where I am from the bond, but does he care about me anymore?

Why should he care about a weak human like me? I'm nothing to him, he probably just pretends to love me. After all, I am a worthless, pathetic human...

"I'd apologise for that" a familiar voice whispered close to my ear. I turned around faster than a bullet from a gun at the sound of his deep, musical voice.

There, in front of me, stood a very ragged looking Chase.

He came! But how did he get past the wolves?

"Those two aren't great guards" he whispered pointing to the now sleeping Myra and Gwyn. "And the rest of the mutts are preparing for your ceremony. Which you won't be attending, by the way."

I stood up and smiled at him happily, but then I fell  right back to the ground, where I lay in a heap, unable to push myself into a sitting position.

Chase grabbed my face urgently and looked into my eyes.

"Red. I feared as much. It's getting shorter and shorter I between when her body demands blood. The time is nearing. I hope I'm not too late..." he trailed off, talking to himself more than he was to me.

"Safety or blood..." he scooped me up into his arms bridal style, using one arm to hold me and bit into his wrist. Gross... That's disgusting.

"Please, Sophia, do this for me and your family"

Did he mean my brothers or my fake family? I'm not sure.

He brought his wrist closer to my mouth and I grimaced, but parted my lips willingly for his sake.

He smiled joyfully at my willingness to drink from him, and pressed his wrist to my mouth as he pulled me closer to his body.

Chase's cold refreshing blood filled my mouth and I sighed. He grinned at my reaction and gently pushed his wrist a bit further into my mouth, encouraging me to carry on.

This isn't half bad. I think I'm starting to get used to this now, it actually tastes quite good.

"So do I. You seem to be almost enjoying it. Well, I do have top quality blood!" He said and laughed. His blood still flowed into my mouth and I gulped it down eagerly.

"Hmm I think that's enough for now" he said, withdrawing his wrist from my mouth.

I swallowed the last drops of his blood that were left in my mouth and sighed, content.

"Close your eyes now" he whispered "I'm about to run my darling Sophia home"

Home... His mansion? "Yes, our mansion. It's your home as well Sophia" he said, placing a fleeting kiss on my forehead.

With that he began to run, run impossibly fast. In the distance behind us I could hear Zephyr's muffled shouts of anger, followed by a howl.

As he ran, I nuzzled my face into his chest, trying to get comfortable against his cool body, snuggling into his arms until I was satisfied with my position.

He stroked my hair affectionately with one hand, a smile growing on his face.

"I wish you weren't my sister" he said, surprising me. "Because if you weren't, I would be able to love you freely. I don't want to be King, Sophia. I'm not ready for responsibility. But I want you, and being King goes with that"

He slowed his pace.

I saw the familiar entrance hall before us, though I don't remember him opening the doors.

"So you can't be with me?" I said, surprising myself with my words. Did I really favour him out of all my brothers? Why did I even want to be with one of my brothers! It's weird...

"No, I can't be with you, Sophia. I'm sorry, I'm not the one you're looking for"
______________________________________
Sorry about the ending, I know I have some readers who'd like Sophia and Chase to be together! But don't lose hope yet, nothing is definite.

Who do you guys want her to end up with, if anyone? Or do you think she should go home?