Chapter 5 - The Hitch-Hiker

(Detective Johnny Hamilton's narrative)

It was nine o'clock in the morning when the shrill blast of the telephone woke me.

  "Hamilton," I mumbled sleepily into the receiver.

  "Hamilton, we've had some news. They've been spotted," came Deputy Carlos' voice.

  "Spotted?"

  "Yes, it seems they stopped off at a small town seventy miles away for breakfast. Tried to pay with the stolen bank notes."

  I was suddenly wide awake.

  "What happened?"  I demanded.

  "The waiter got shot at, but is Ok. He managed to raise the alarm."

  I thought for a moment.

  "Who was shooting? DiCote?"

  "No, it was Rappe. The guy's sure about that."

  I leaned back in my chair. This was the first time we had definite proof that Lorraine Rappe had done something against the law.

  "Ok, thanks, sir. I'll get over there right away."

  At last, a lead.

(Mr. Larry Janis' narrative)

Another boring day. That's all I have to look forward too. But looking on the bright side, maybe Mary will have made a cake for me…

  I brightened when I saw by the side of the road, a girl. And not just any girl. She was one of the best looking girls I had seen in a long time, with golden hair. And what's more, she was thumbing for a lift. Trying to contain my eagerness, I pulled up next on the deserted highway.

  "You want a lift?" I asked charmingly.

  "Thanks," she responded, and got into the passenger seat next to me.

  "Where you going?"

  "Oh, just to the nearest town, please."

  As we drove, I made several attempts to spark a conversation, but the girl didn't seem to be in a talkative mood.

  We had been driving for about ten minutes, when the girl suddenly spoke, her voice cold an hard.

  "Stop the car."

  "What?" I laughed, for we were still in the middle of nowhere. "My conversation can't be that bad!"

  There was a faint click.

  "I said stop the car."

  I glanced over to the girl, and to my horror, I saw she was pointing a small gun right at my head. But, as always, I kept a cool head.

  "W-what are you going to do to me?" I stammered.

  She didn't answer, and all of a sudden, a man sprang out of the undergrowth by the side of the asphalt, his gun also drawn.

  I threw uneasy glances between them, trying to read their faces, trying to work out if I was going to live… or if I was going to die…

  "Get out," the man growled.

  I gingerly stepped out of the car, and, I'm ashamed to say, practically cringed against a fence post.

  The man hopped nimbly into the driver's seat, handing a suitcase to the girl.

  As he started the engine, the girl called:

  "Oh, apparently, an average of approximately seven cars a day travel through this highway. let's hope you've not missed them all!"

  With that, my car sped off, and was soon out of sight, leaving me stranded. Without a doubt, I wished I could had another boring day at the office.

Sorry that this chapter is a bit short, but then,  better a small fish than an empty dish! Anyway, I hope you're still enjoying!