Chapter 6 - The Noose Tightens

• Dedicated to George

(Lori's narrative)

  "I'm so sorry, Lori. I had no idea that money was hot," Jack said, shaking his head.

  We were lying on our backs, looking up at the stars. The tall trees around us were guarding us from the road and it seemed like we were alone in the whole world. Only the stars, looking down on us like a million eyes.

  "Look, don't worry about it," I reassured him.

  There was silence for a minute. I began to him 'If You Were the Only Girl'.

  "I would say such wonderful things to you… there would be such wonderful things to do… if you were the only girl in the world… and I were the only boy…"

  Jack moved closer and held my hand.

  "That was lovely," he whispered.

  I closed my eyes slowly.

  "Jack… do you know what I've been waiting for all my life?"

  "No…" he said, stroking my hair.

  I smiled.

  "Tonight."

  He gave a gentle laugh and I rested my head on his chest. I could hear his heart beating, ever so quietly.

  "Oh, we'll grow old together," I said. "We'll always stick together and be on the level."

  He put his arms around me. Suddenly I felt warm and safe. If only that night had never ended. We fell asleep in each other's arms. Neither of us could have known it would be the last time.

I sat up, wide awake and listened. In the distance I could hear dogs barking and men shouting.

  "Jack!" I hissed, shaking him awake. He opened his mouth as if to speak, but I stopped him. "Listen."

  Jack sprang up.

  "The cops!"

  Taking my hand, we ran through the woods towards the road. If we could only get to the car…

  It was still quite early in the morning, and the woods were still submerged in darkness. It was so dark in fact, that we didn't see the cop until the last second.

  "Put your hands above your head!" he ordered, waving a revolver at us.

  Jack made no move, so I guess I didn't either.

  The lone cop seemed to be losing his nerve.

  "I said put your hands up."

  My eyes widened when I saw his finer tighten on the trigger.

  All of a sudden, Jack whipped out his gun, and two deafening shots were fired simultaneously. For one terrible moment, everything was perfectly still. Both men were as if frozen. But then Jack began to sway, and groaning, he fell.

  I think I screamed but I can't be sure. All I can remember was the cop's triumphant face and my hand flying to my coat pocket. I pulled out my gun and, without thinking, pulled the trigger.

  The loud shot made me squeeze my eyes tight shut. When I dared look, the cop had fallen, and a fresh pool of blood was soaking into the dead leaves. He was dead. I had killed him…

  I snapped my attention back to Jack. To my infinite relief, I saw his eyes were open, and he was clutching his shoulder.

  "Lori!" he gasped.

  I span around and saw that i was being watched. Watched by another cop.

  I didn't think.

  I just fired at him.

  As he fell, I began to feel sick. Two people. I had killed two people in as many minutes.

  "Lori! We've got to get out of here!" Jack said, his voice cracking in pain.

  I knelt down beside him.

  "Ok, put your arm over my shoulder, I told him. "Right then. One… two… three!"

  He groaned horribly as I pulled him up. Jack was heavier than I expected, and I had to do my all to support him. Slowly, we began to stagger towards the road.

  But soon I saw  the car was surrounded by cops.

  "What do we do now?" I asked desperately.

So now Lori's wanted for murder as well! Tut tut. I hope you've liked this chapter beacuse it was quite hard for me to write! With love – Cinnamon