Chapter 8 - A Love That Will Never Die

That night seemed to go on forever. I didn't get any sleep – I had to watch the woman. I didn't let go of the baby either. I liked to look down at his sleeping, peaceful face. He seemed to trust me – I don't know why. I hope one day, me and Jack will have kids. I think I'd like six, God willing.

  My dream of better future days was broken when I glanced out of the window. It was still fairly dark, but it was thick with fog. Ideal for hiding from cops.

  Careful not to wake the baby, I stood and went over to the black bakelite telephone, and in one quick movement, yanked out the cord.

  The woman gave a sharp gasp.

  "It's alright. I'm just making sure we won't have any gatecrashers to our little party," I said steadily. "Do you have a car?" She nodded nervously. "Well then, I'm going to take you and your cute kid for a ride."

  I crouched down beside the armchair and shook Jack gently.

  "Jack."

  I tried to pull him up, but he pretty much managed by himself.

  "I'm Ok," he said, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze.

  I gave orders the the woman, and with one wave of the gun, she ran outside.

  A minute later I heard the sound of a car engine.

  I helped Jack through the hall, and into the old and battered Model T.

  It was then I shoved the baby back into his Mother's arms.

  I didn't look back as I drove away from the cottage. I couldn't.

(The Woman's narrative)

I clutched my baby tightly to me. Thank God! Thank God he was safe now!

  After a few moments, a sudden idea flashed into my head.

  I quickly ran upstairs and into the bedroom.

  Luckily, Miss Rappe had not realized I had an extension telephone…

(Jack DiCote's narrative)

  "Damn it! We must be out of gas!" Lori swore, pressing feverishly at the starting button.

  "It's hopeless Lori. We'll have to carry on on foot."

  She looked at me, concern in her eyes.

  "Will you be Ok?"

  I tried not to wince as I nodded.

  "Sure. Come on, let's get going."

  I didn't want to let her know how much pain I was in as I stepped out of the car. Taking her hand, we began to run towards the field beside the road. It had long, tall grass, which was a bonus. The only downside was the terrible bogs concealed in it. We found ourselves slipping and often sinking in the watery mud.

  Suddenly, a police car's siren  wailed through the quiet country air.

  "The cops!" Lori exclaimed angrily. "I'll kill that damned woman!"

  We began to run again, but one of us, I'm not sure which, slipped, sending us both crashing down into the mud.

  I felt Lori trying to pull me up.

  "I'm sorry Lori! I can't!"

  She stopped pulling and knelt down beside me.

  "I'm not gonna leave you Jack," she whispered.

  I managed to pull her close to me.

  "I love you Lori," I whispered back.

(Detective Johnny Hamilton's narrative)

We had spotted them but this time I ordered everyone to keep back. It was my turn to go in.

  "DiCote! Rappe! Give yourselves up and we won't start shooting!"

  Nothing. They were out if sight, concealed behind some thick reeds. Still on my guard, I edged closer.

  Suddenly, DiCote sprang up, a revolver in his hands. I didn't need to see his finger tightening on the trigger, I knew it was.

  It was him or me.

  I fired.

  DiCote fell.

  One down, one to go.

  I indicated for the other men to circle the reeds, but I desperately waved for them to stop when Rappe slowly stood, a gun clasped in her hand.

  We were easy targets now. And I didn't need a shrink to tell me she was on the edge, maybe even of madness…

  Dropping my gun, I slowly stepped forward, my hands above my head.

  "Put the gun down Lori," I said calmly, using her pet name.

  She was shaking, and her eyes were fixed on me.

  "One more step and I'll kill you. I'll kill you. I'll kill you! I'LL KILL YOU!!!

  I don't know who fired – it wasn't me. All I know was there was a deafening explosion and Rappe fell.

  I swallowed. I hadn't wanted her to be killed…

(Lori's narrative – for the last time)

Did I realize I was dying? Yes, I think I did. It didn't hurt… it just felt sort of strange. I felt so weak and tired, but I had to get to him. I had to be with Jack.

  I crawled over to where he was lying, his face so peaceful, like that baby.

  My legs buckled, and I collapsed into the mud. With my last strength, I laid my head on Jack's chest. But this time I couldn't hear anything.

  I lied that night when I said it was the last time we were in each other's arms. It wasn't.

  Because we died in each other's arms…

 (Detective Johnny Hamilton's narrative)

We stood around around them in silent respect.

  I felt no emotion for the death of DiCote – in my eyes, he deserved it.

  But Lori… she must have loved him so much…

  A love as strong as that never dies. It lives on, after death. Maybe now, as I think this, the two of them are being reunited in Shangri-La; a paradise with no crime, money, hate or envy. Just love.

  Maybe Heaven is the only place where people are truly free. I don't know.

  I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

THE END