Chapter 2: The Loser in Tin Foil

“362 … 363…. 364.” I stopped in front of the azure blue locker. “365”, I said inside my head. I entered the combination the lady in the administration office gave me and opened the locker before placing all my books and stationery inside. I took out the folded piece of paper from my jeans and read the schedule silently inside my head.

“Ayee Luke!!!” I heard someone yell, “Catch!”

THUD! I felt something hard hit the back of my head and I spun around to find a brown haired boy scooping up a bright orange basketball from the tiled ground. He straightened up and ran his hand through his hair, and then he winked at me and walked away. I felt the hot rush of anger boil inside me and I stomped my way towards him.

“Excuse me.” I said sternly.

He kept on walking.

Excuse me.” I said.

He still kept on walking.

I SAID EXCUSE ME… LUKE.

He stopped and turned around.

“Yes babe,” he said nonchalantly,” How may I help you.”

I glared at him.

“I believe that the basketball you’re holding hit me on the back of my head because someone clearly failed to catch the ball.”

He laughed, “Let me guess, you want me to apologize? Okay, look, I’m sorry.”

“You better be.” I growled and walked away.

---------------------------------------

RING! RING! RING!

I heard the first bell go and I rubbed the back of my head from where the ball hit me, before closing my locker shut and walking to ‘Room 143’ ,History class.

It took me 10 minutes to find my way to the classroom and when I knocked on the classroom door, the entire class directed their view on me. I heard someone clear their throat and I turned my head to the teacher. He took out a file and looked at me.

“I presume you’re Ms. Skylar Veirtel?” He said.

“Yes.” I replied.

“And where were you in the past 10 minutes?” He asked.

“I got lost.” I gulped.

He sighed, “ Because this is your first day, I’ll let you off with a warning.”

“Yes sir.” I said.

He looked around the class and said “ You may sit on the empty seat at the back, next to Mr. Whitlock. “

He pointed to a chair at the back and I felt my heart sink when I saw the smug face of the boy I met earlier. Luke.

I dragged my feet to the seat and sat down.

“Well if it isn’t .. Skylar.. was it?” he smirked, “We haven’t been properly introduced yet.”

I glared at him.

“Whew! Calm down, tiger.” He said, “ as you know, I’m Luke. Luke Whitlock.”

“And I’m I-want-to-pay-attention-to-what-the-teacher-is-saying.” I said.

“Mr. Jefferson?” He laughed, “ The old bag is practically history!”

“I heard that Mr. Whitlock.” Mr. Jefferson snapped, “ One more word from you and you’ll be hearing from the principals office.”