10) It's Not Right For You

"The ones who hurt us cannot heal us. That's not the way it works. That's not the way it ever works."

―Ashleigh Caitbog-Abraham, There's Nothing Left to Save

Sun shone through the blinds and the sounds of the birds that twittered through the branches of the tree outside my bedroom window floated throughout the room

Sun shone through the blinds and the sounds of the birds that twittered through the branches of the tree outside my bedroom window floated throughout the room. I groaned and rolled over―it was going to be one of those days.

I lay on my back with the covers pulled up to my midriff and mentally prepared myself for the day ahead. I didn't have anything special or even remotely exciting planned, I just needed a little nudge to get me out of bed.

For a moment I allowed my mind to wander to Nathan and my stomach fluttered. I didn't want to feel this way about another guy when I wasn't even over the last one. It was bad timing that's all, I reasoned. Or was it pretty good timing?

I groaned in frustration. I didn't have the answer to that question. If I had met him before Katie had dropped her bombshell about her and Brian then there wouldn't have even been the question of my feelings for him, but when your ex gets himself engaged to your sister it was high time to move the hell on...Right?

Despite the fact that I had my own problems, my thoughts drifted to Hailey and her relationship drama and I let out a long sigh. "Hailey, Hailey, Hailey," I muttered, shaking my head.

I unplugged my phone and dialed her number. She answered on the third ring with a groggy "Its way too early for either of us to be up."

"It's after ten," I laughed. "Wanna grab lunch later?"

She hesitated. "I don't think that's such a good idea Tay."

"And why is that?" I asked, lifting myself to a sitting position.

"I have a lunch date with Michael," she murmured.

Silence.

"Taylor?"

More silence.

She sighed. "I know how you feel about him but can you try to let it go just this once? For me?"

I used my free hand to sweep my hair away from my face before I replied. "This isn't some wacky rendition of Frozen, Hailey―and I don't owe your idiot ex that courtesy. So, no. I cant let it go, not even for you."

"I've been there for you throughout all of your pining after Brian midnight calls. Why can't you do the same for me?" she asked with a slight quiver in her voice.

"Because you can do so much better than him. Why can't you see that?"

She groaned. "You're not listening to me!"

"Yes, I am. But Hails you deserve so much more than Michael."

She was quiet for a long time before she replied. "I don't want to have this fight with you every time I go out with him, it's exhausting."