Chapter 19

A fog descended over Jesse's eyes and he finally stopped grouching and complaining, taking a moment to actually process what he was seeing. Confident that the memories I had stolen from Lucas had been firmly implanted in Jesse's brain I dropped my hold on Jesse's mind and let my hand fall back to my side. I also dropped my hold on Lucas and felt myself sag with exhaustion. I'd forgotten that I was functioning on very little sleep, and that little display of power had drained me of pretty much all I had left.

Staggering to the side I sank down onto the floor, bracing my back against the wall and closing my eyes. Silence stretched throughout the room for a few blissful moments, though it came as no surprise that it was Frank who broke it.

"I feel like the voyeur who wasn't allowed to join in the threesome. Mind filling me in on exactly what I just missed out on?"

"Always such a wordsmith," Lucas slurred as he leaned against the wall, his head in his hands.

"Basically I took memories out of Lucas' head and stuck them into Jesse's. That's what all these new powers are supposed to do, it's what we're meant to do. I don't know why I didn't understand that sooner, but that's how it works. This is how we start something."

"Well I can't deny that I'm impressed you finally figured it out, Love. But if that's how it works then it'll take forever to amass enough support for any kind of uprising, took you long enough to get it into his thick skull. And, not to talk bad about my fellow demons and all, but a lot of them aren't exactly the sharpest of tools in the box. Besides, look at the state of you now, you really think you can sustain the energy and power needed to convert all of Hell onto your side? To be honest, Love, I'm thinking we may as well give up and let Lucifer get on with his merry plans."

"Not to mention I think my head will literally explode if I have to go through that again," Lucas added with a groan as he massaged his temples.

If I'd had any energy left I would have rolled my eyes at him, as it was all I could manage was a small sigh. Not only did his sudden willingness to just give up frustrate me, but I couldn't believe he didn't understand his own part in how this would work, Lucas I kind of expected it from, but not from Frank.

Frank, out of the three of them, was supposed to be the one I didn't need to explain things to, I was supposed to be able to rely on him for help and guidance in all of this. The oldest, the most experienced, not to mention the only pureblooded demon in the room. I wondered if our relative safety in that hideaway, isolated from the rest of Hell had him forgetting exactly what we were hiding from. I knew that if my little stunt with Jesse had worked, then we'd need to kick our plan into high gear and soon, before we all grew complacent and quick to give in.

I pushed myself forwards and braced my hands on my knees, glaring hard at the pair of them as they lurked in by the narrow doorway.

"Well now, that would be why I'm lumbered with you three now wouldn't it. Funnily enough I'm not choosing to stick with you guys purely for the shits and giggles, you have your own purpose and that is to amplify my new power, project its reach further than I can manage on my own. I can make it work, but it's a lot of effort and takes a lot of energy, so this is exactly why we needed to get him back. Without all of us together we get nowhere, Lucifer will succeed in his plan to reign supreme over Hell, and in the end it'll be Malick that wins. So it has got to be all of us, all or nothing."

Frank let out a harsh chortle of laughter as he backed into the hallway. "The three fucking Muskateers!"

"I always figured I'd look quite fetching in one of those plumed hats," Lucas muttered in a groggy voice, his eyes still closed but a half smile curled at his lips.