Epilogue

The halls and doorways passed in a rush of stone and flickering lights as I sent out the call. Fingers of power threading through the walls and into the minds of every demon I could manage to touch. It worked even without the others there, the whole prophecy and the triangle of power had all been bullshit, I understood that now, a story just to draw me in and convince me to do what I had. It had worked before because I had believed it would, I believed that was how it had to be, but I'd never really needed them. And I believed now that it would work without them, and it did. The power was one thing they couldn't take away from me. The Pits was where I was headed, it was the perfect spot to gather them all for one final show.

The time was now, do or die; or should that be do and die? I chuckled to myself at that morbid thought as I ran, still reaching out and tempting every demon I could find to follow me. They were coming, I could feel them,unable to resist the temptation of my call.

Come for the show, come see the fall. Once in a lifetime chance to shift the balance of power, take back some control. Capitalise on the fall of the Faces. Today is the day of the demon.

Give me some time and I could write some killer demon propaganda posters. Unfortunately time was one thing I had run out of.

The heat from the pits washed over my skin several corridors away and it gave me a renewed glow of confidence even though death loomed ahead. It wasn't a dark figure hovering ever closer over my shoulder it was a bright fiery abyss that lay in front of me waiting to welcome me with open arms, and I would walk into it willingly. Hell, it wasn't like it was a new experience only this time I knew I wouldn't becoming back.

With my last moments I threw out every ounce of power I could muster, hanging onto every mind and influencing their thoughts. I would make them all believe that with my death Lucifer and the Faces plans would be undone, prompt a revolt. They'd be quashed of course but I hoped it would at least derail any hopes of Lucifer pushing through with his plans and realise that the key didn't die with me.

It didn't hurt, not like I thought it was going to which was a relief at least but I felt something leave me as my physical form was eaten by the flames. The Pits held the key to true destruction and I knew the end was swallowing me whole, leaving no trace behind. Before my sight left me Lucifer caught my eye. Caught behind the heaving mass of lesser demons as they swarmed the stone cavern he held my gaze, a look of pure fury in his face that burned across the distance – or maybe that was just the flames.

AndI smiled, glowing with smug satisfaction at his rage as I sank beneath the flames.