Chapter 26 Part 3

"Just stop. Please, I can't think while you all bicker with each other."

We'd been just standing there for what felt like hours trying to figure out what should be done now – well I was thinking, the boys were arguing with each other – and between the four of us we'd not been able to come to a definite conclusion. And through it all Frank remained a silent,looming figure looking down at me, waiting for my own suggestion surely so he could shoot it down in flames; and I couldn't reach one.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place was not good enough a metaphor for this dilemma.Which evil was greater? They both needed to be stopped, but which should take priority? And if we did get to either Lucifer or Malick,would be we too late to reach the other in time to stop them too,would this all end up being for nothing? And I couldn't freaking concentrate while those two bickered like children.

"Shut up!" I shouted again, as they didn't listen to me the first time and the incessant buzzing finally died away.

"We don't have time for this shit, we need to get moving. If Lucifer wakes up before we get to the other Faces, then we are royally screwed." The words were out of my mouth before I even had time to register that I'd made the decision we needed, but I knew not all of them were going to like it.

Jesse looked at me with such betrayal in his eyes. "What about my dad!"

"I'm sorry, Jesse, I am. And trust me we will do everything that we can to try and save him, but we need to stop Lucifer first. Malick is a weasel and should be destroyed, and we won't stop until he is, but if we don't stop Lucifer we'll all be dead, so we can kiss everything we've worked for so far goodbye. He must be stopped, no matter the cost."

"Including my dad's life?" He demanded, incredulously.

"Yes.I'm sorry, but yes. Even his life, even my own life if it comes to that. We're all expendable at the end of the day. All for the greater good and all that. I didn't believe it much before, but I do now, I have to. And this is how it has to go."

His face paled with rage so pure and unadulterated; I knew for certain in that moment that he would never forgive me for my choice.

"Fine.I suppose you already killed my mother, may as well go two for two."And with those few harsh words Jesse stalked off through the crowd and we followed a few stunned seconds after him.

"Think you might've pissed him off, Love," Frank muttered in my ear as we hurried to catch up with Jesse; who I was pretty sure had no clue where he was going.

"Gee,y'think." I shook my head. "It doesn't matter so long as we can get him to play along when we get to the Faces, otherwise they'll probably just slaughter the lot of us."

"Don't worry, Love, I'm a master of persuasion." Frank grinned at me wickedly and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Now come on the lot of you!" Frank roared to the mass of the crowd that I hadn't even noticed were still following us. "We've got to meet some Horsemen for a showdown."