Chapter Three - 20 Questions

"Why did you help me?" Gabe was the first to break the silence. They'd been sat quietly together at kitchen table for four minutes, already two thirds of the way through their coffee. William looked up in surprise, like he'd zoned out and forgotten where he was.

"I told you. You were in no shape to be walking home by yourself. Why'd you stop me from leaving earlier?" He raised his eyebrows and went back to his coffee, not breaking eye contact with Gabe.

"You didn't answer my question properly." Gabe chuckled slightly to show that he meant no offence by what he was saying - he'd experienced first hand how bad William was with arrogance, and he didn't want to make the situation worse.

"And you haven't answered mine at all. Why did you stop me from leaving earlier? I could've been a murderer for all you know. Why'd you let me stay?" he smirked, and Gabe mirrored him. If he wanted to play 20 Questions, Gabe was willing to play along.

"You seemed nice. I felt bad for making you uncomfortable, especially after all you've done for me. Why did you decide you were going to be the one to walk me home? Why not let somebody else do it - why even help me in the first place?"

"I'm not one to turn down people in need. Especially when they're nice enough to promise not to puke on your shoes." William laughed quietly to himself as he witnessed Gabe's face gradually get redder and redder. "And - if you don't mind me going back to the murderer thing - why trust me?"

"Because I know who you are now." William's dazed face was met by Gabe's shit-eating grin.

"How?"

"I knew I'd seen you before, but I couldn't think where. That's why I had to ask about your surname, which isn't something I normally do - sorry about being so rude about that, I have a reputation to keep up and I wasn't willing to break it for a potential stranger. But no, now I know who you are." Gabe had never felt so smug in his life - okay, he probably had, but he liked to exaggerate. William, on the other hand, had definitely never wanted to punch somebody in the face more than he had then.

"Who am I then, Gabe 'I Know Everybody Who's Everybody' Saporta? How do you know a nobody like me? You know, the kind of person you're not willing to break your damn bad boy reputation you've got going." Gabe was slightly terrified at how serious William had become. Maybe trying to wind him up wasn't Gabe's best idea.

"You're the William Beckett. Friends with the Victoria Asher, the reason you were at that party last night."

"Hey! How did you know she's the reason I was there?" William protested, using all of his energy on not reaching over the table and slapping the grin off Gabe's face.

"Not your turn, sugar." Gabe winked, sitting back in his chair and relishing in his victory. "Why did you come and visit me this morning? I know I told you to last night, but nobody ever pays attention to Drunk Gabe. You had a choice - why'd you choose to come here?"

"Vicky told me to." William murmured, not wanting to tell Gabe why she had wanted him to go to Gabe's. Out of all the people to pay attention to Drunk Gabe, Victoria Jane Asher was at the bottom of the list.

"Why did she tell you that?" Gabe found himself flustered all of a sudden, and William felt an instant boost of confidence from having the Vicky Advantage.

"Not your turn, darling." William winked, and Gabe's jaw almost hit the floor. A few moments ago, this boy was a mess of embarrassment and rosy cheeks. Now, he was using Gabe's lines against him - and they sounded better coming from William than they did from Gabe.

"How did you know Vicky was the one who dragged me to the party?"

"To be entirely honest, I didn't know. I just figured that since you know her, and she was clearly the only other person at the party that you knew, she must've brought you there. Why did she tell you to come round this morning?"

William hesitated, planning out his reply. He couldn't let Gabe know the full reason, but he also couldn't chicken out of answering.

"Same reason she dragged me to the party last night. Why did you think we'd slept together? I mean, in case you hadn't noticed, I'm a guy."

"It happens sometimes, it's kind of what happens when you get drunk and you're into guys. Why'd Vicky drag you to the party last night?" Their questions were rapid, with little time in between to figure out a reply. Just a constant cycle of question, witty reply, question, witty reply.

"To see you. You're into guys?"

"Bi as heck. Why'd you want to see me?"

"Vicky thought we should meet. 'Socialising will be good for you, Bill!'" William imitated Vicky's voice as best he could, resulting in a humoured snort and an eye-roll from Gabe. "Why did you even let me in this morning? Some weird guy that you've never met before shows up at your door and your first reaction is 'Let him in!'?"

"Hungover Gabe is just as bad as Drunk Gabe. Except Drunk Gabe doesn't mind loud noises and bright lights. Now quit beating around the bush and give me a straight answer. Why did Vicky drag you to that party last night to talk to me?"

"My answer is everything but straight."

***

A/N: Two updates in one week????? I'm good!!! I was totally on fire writing this and didn't want to just leave it in my drafts so HERE YOU GO!!!!

Also don't expect me to be this good at updating in the future. Soz lol.