Chapter Thirteen - This Is As NSFW As It's Gonna Get, Kids

"It was just meant to be a nice surprise, Bilvy, I-"

"A nice surprise? I was worried sick about you! I thought you'd left me! I thought you'd hung up the phone without even saying 'goodbye' and that those were the last words I'd ever hear from you!" William was unable to stop crying.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to do something nice for you." Gabe held William close, rocking him back and forth.

"I thought you'd left me."

"I'd never leave you, you're all I have."

"I don't want to be controlling of you," William began the conversation "I just don't like it when you do things unannounced. Big things, I mean.I don't mind you going out for a few drinks with your friends totally last minute, but if you're going to buy me a flat, I'd like a heads up."

They were walking hand in hand down the pier, swinging their arms like they were in Primary school again. For the last two weeks, they'd been sharing the flat Gabe had bought his boyfriend as a surprise for his birthday. They'd been sharing a lot more than just a flat - secrets, bottles of wine, a bed.

"I should've called you. It was stupid of me to not let you know I was okay."

"Yeah, it was," William stopped walking and turned to face Gabe, smiling "But I forgive you."

Gabe quickly kissed William, winking before they continued walking.

***

By eight o'clock, they were back home. William liked that he could call it home, he liked that he had a home with Gabe. It was all theirs. They sat on the kitchen floor, an odd tradition that they'd started since moving in together. A bottle of red wine separated them, glasses in hand.

"You've been drinking wine for the past month and you still wince whenever you drink it." Gabe laughed.

"Well I haven't been chugging Vodka in the park since I was fourteen, have I?" William punched Gabe's arm playfully, uncrossing his legs to kneel instead. He took another sip. "Ugh, do they make this flavour without the alcoholic burn?"

"Yeah, it's called grape juice."

"Alright, no need to get sassy with me." William smirked. Gabe winked at him and William raised an eyebrow. "No need to get flirty either."

"Don't need to," Gabe wiggled his eyebrows back, lifting the glass to his mouth "I've already won you over."

William rolled his eyes, taking one last petite drink from his wine, before standing up and pouring it down the kitchen sink. "Nope, I can't do it anymore. Sorry, wine, but you're just not for me."

He poured himself a glass of apple juice instead, sitting beside his boyfriend, who had decided that lying on his side 'draw me like one of your French girls' style was a more comfortable position.

"You know I can see that you're hard." William rolled his eyes and pursed his lips.

"So what?" Gabe tried to shrug it off, but William could see him starting to blush. He leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, making him go even redder.

"That's not fair." Gabe clenched his jaw and glared at William out of the corner of his eye, biting the inside of his lip. William stood up and stretched his arms over his head so that his shirt rode up and exposed the lower part of his stomach, his jeans resting dangerously low on his hips.

"You're right, Gabriel, it's really not." he shrugged and left the room, leaving his boyfriend sitting dumbfounded on the kitchen floor.

***

"Look at you, mister 'I've finished all my exams'!" Gabe hugged William warmly, their bodies melting into each other. William sighed and shook his head when they pulled apart.

"It's not over yet, darling. I'm still shitting myself over the results."

"They'll be fine, you did great. Now, what's for dinner?"

William's face dropped immediately. He sighed, trying to hide just how upset he was.

"What? What have I done?" Gabe pressed, a confused expression plastered onto his face.

"It doesn't matter. I don't know why I'm so surprised, I knew you'd forget."

"What? What did I forget? Bilvy, tell me!"

"It's our anniversary, Gabe! How could you forget, you have a poster with the date on it!" William gestured to the framed poster for the final Midtown show placed beside their bookshelf.

"It's our anniversary?"

"Yes, Gabe! It's our anniversary!" William was fighting back tears. He never remembers anything. Why does it even surprise me this time?

"Oh," Gabe dragged it out for emphasis "Is that why I reserved a table for us at our favourite restaurant tonight and bought you this?" he took a small brown envelope out of his back pocket and handed it to William.

"You shit." William smiled and shook his head as he opened it. Inside was a collection of Polaroid photographs, ordinary as anything.

"Is this why you were carrying that bloody camera around with you all this time?" he smiled, shaking his head.

"Look through them." Gabe pressed, smiling giddily to himself, knowing how it ended.