Chapter Eleven - Wherever The Wind Takes Us, Baby

"Happy birthday, babe." William kissed his boyfriend on the cheek as he placed a small wrapped box on his lap. Gabe smiled back at him, pulling him down onto the sofa beside him.

"Thank you, sweetie." Gabe winked as he unwrapped his gift. Inside was a silver band with the outline of a crescent moon stamped onto it. Gabe looked up at William confusedly. "What's this about?"

William held up his right hand and wiggled his fingers. On his ring finger was an identical band, except this one had the outline of a star stamped onto the front. "It's a promise."

"Promise rings?" William had never seen Gabe so happy. Everyone knew Gabe as a heartbreaker with no heart of his own, but William knew him well enough to know that he was actually a giant sap.

"It's a bit cheesy, I know, but-" William didn't have time to finish his sentence as Gabe brought their lips together. Gabe's hands cupped William's face softly, keeping their faces close. William had to muster up a lot of strength to not let his hands wander.

"I like cheesy." Gabe winked, slipping the ring onto his right ring finger. He held it up in front of him, admiring the moon shape on the front of it.

"Well then, you'll like what I have planned." William grinned. Gabe raised an eyebrow and William smiled even harder. "We'll go to the hill for a bit, maybe you could sing for me again?" he wiggled his eyebrows and Gabe shook his head, laughing.

"No chance, babe."

"We'll see. Then, I found this nice little café that we could go to for lunch, then we can come back to my place because my parents are away and then we can take it from there."

"Bilvy, you sweetheart!" he kissed him again.

***

At 6:30pm, William unlocked the door to his house clumsily, giggling as Gabe kissed his neck from behind, his arms snaked around his waist.

"I'm glad your parents aren't in, there's no way I could've gone back to mine like this - could you imagine the look on my dad's face if we'd walked in like this?" Gabe tried to whisper as he fell with William into the house. William chuckled, his hands on Gabe's face, Gabe holding his boyfriend's hips closer to his own.

"I'm sick of sneaking around, though. Gets a bit frustrating after a bit." William said in between kisses.

"Maybe I should get my own place." Gabe raised an eyebrow as they fell onto the sofa, William straddling Gabe.

"Maybe you should." William smiled.

"Maybe we should get a place together."

William stopped kissing Gabe and fell off his lap and onto the sofa beside him.

"Are you serious?"

"Well, you'll need a place for uni and by the time I get my own place you'll be about to start. Easy to explain to your parents - just tell 'em we're room mates. If we break up, we break up."

"Let's not talk about us breaking up. Let's not talk about that."

***

"Today was really nice." Gabe played with William's hair as he nestled beside him on the sofa, their legs tangled under the blanket. "Thank you."

"You deserve it, babe." William pressed his body closer to Gabe's, sighing sleepily. "It's nice to see you happy."

"You're so lovely to me, Bilvy." he chuckled. They lay in silence together for a while, the TV silently playing some dating show nonsense that the both of them loved.

The show ended - another week with no successful pairings. Gabe stretched his legs and stood up, holding out a hand for William to use to pull himself up. He looked up at the clock.

"There's still four and a half hours left of my birthday. Let's go for a walk, make the most of it." he suggested.

"Where are we gonna go?"

"Wherever the wind takes us, baby." Gabe winked, grabbing his boyfriend by the waisted and planting a sloppy kiss on his cheek.

***

The two boys made their way down to the pier, hand in hand, arms swinging giddily.

"The past few months with you have been some of the best months of my life." William turned to look at Gabe, a sincere smile playing in his lips. "Thank you."

"Me too. I don't think anybody's ever gone this long without trying to sleep with me." Gabe joked and William shook his head, smiling. His face tensed suddenly and Gabe raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

"Are you okay with that? Me not wanting to, you know..."

"Babe," Gabe slowed down, looking William in the eye as he spoke "I love you, and whether or not you want go get in my pants doesn't matter to me. Sex isn't the be all, end all of relationships."

William unhooked his fingers from Gabe's and looked to the ground, unable to look him in the eye.

"What's wrong?"

"That was the first time you told me you loved me." William laughed nervously "We've only been together a few months, are you sure you want to drop the L bomb?"

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life."

***

They sat on a bench down by the pier, the sound of the waves crashing below them echoing gently in their ears, the soft glow of the street lamps illuminating their faces.

"You really want to move in together?" William asked, picking at his nails nervously.

"Why not?" Gabe shrugged "Why the Hell not?"

"Well, don't you think we're, uh... Don't you think we're moving a bit quickly?"

Gabe turned to face his boyfriend, and was met with an imbearably concerned face.

"You're really scared about this, aren't you?" William nodded, hanging his head in shame. "Honey, it's fine. We'll go however fast or slow you want. I'm not going to force you to do anything."

He reached out and brushed the hair out of William's face, who turned to look back at him. Gabe couldn't tell whether it was the dull yellow lighting or the sad expression on his face, but William didn't look seventeen. He looked like a child - helpless, vunerable, scared.

"You look exhausted," Gabe sighed, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and pulling him closer "Let's get you home."