Chapter 1

Ordinary people do ordinary things, right? Or maybe that was what I wanted to be classified as; ordinary. I am just a simple girl after all, or at least I was. Random considerations were a regulatory. As a child, there wasn't one individual that had personally told me I was odd, but in my mind, I knew I was. Still am.

"Are you almost done in there?" Elisha softly sighed, which was barely a whisper, and bounded her hand against the door ever so slightly.

I held in a sigh myself. "I'll be out in a second."

There was more that I wanted to say, but decided against being the moody college student that I really was. Elisha had been one of the few friends that actually remained around. Since of that fact, and many more, she is the best friend I have.

After I had finished high school, there had been absolutely no extra time that I had to even contemplate dating. The truth was I had no experience. Even as a high school student, there were many other things to think about, and dating was last. Don't get me wrong, I was just like most every other teenage girl.

I jerked back when the mascara stick jolted into my right eye. Water filled both of my eyes, and unwillingly I let them roll onto my flushed cheeks. With anger, I glared into the mirror and got rid of the extra makeup.

"We're going to be late," Elisha urged, her patience lessening further.

Over the past year when I enrolled in college, I had finally found that long lost crush. What I was mostly worried about was that if this guy, Collin, had only asked me out because of pressure or if he really wanted to have a future with me. For some odd reason, I had a hard time reading guys. Unfortunately, even though I so luckily got what I've been dreaming of for the longest time, it didn't feel right. That wasn't going to destroy my night. I wouldn't let it.

"Asa is supposed to arrive any minute. I've sure missed him," she comments, but mostly to herself.

She had gotten lucky with her boyfriend. He was originally originated from England, but moved over to America a few years ago. At the time, I had been quite fascinated with the country, and I may have or not threw many questions out.

"It has been a while, hasn't it?" I said.

When it was time to apply for college, their time dwindled away. Fortuitously for them, they didn't break up when that happened.

"It has to be your fault. Moving in and all," she teased.

I rolled my eyes. "I think you were the one who wanted to move in with me."

Collin had spread the rumor that he and I were dating, so from that piece of information I figured that he wasn't a romantic. Truth be told, I could be pleasantly surprised later. Or not.

"Okay, I'm done." I opened the bathroom door and exhaled. "Where are we going?"

She laughed and shook her head. "I've told you too many times. You're not going to know until you get there."

She had unexpectedly prearranged the event for us, with her boyfriend. The worst part was that she wouldn't budge about any information. Since of my inexperience, I eagerly questioned her to join along. She, being my best friend, had agreed nonetheless.

I glanced at her flustered face. "Are you ready?"

She corrected a strand of her wavy brown hair by tucking it behind her ear. Her dark, almost black eyes were enhanced by her choice of makeup. She wore the stuff more often, while the products didn't matter as much to me.

"Of course I'm ready. The real question is, are you ready?" She bumped her hip against my thigh.

"As ready as I'll ever be."