Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Someone was jumping on the bed, that was all I knew. I groaned lowly, not wanting to wake up yet. The warm covers were comforting and welcoming to my tired body. I had no desire to move, but I knew I had to.

"Go away, mom," I swatted my hand, stuffing my face in a pillow.

A boyish giggle sounded from above me. Snapping my eyes open in alarm, I searched for the boy. I shrieked in shock; a small boy was jumping on the bed. Where was I? I frantically looked around the room like a wild animal that had gone crazy.

Flashes of last night crossed my mind; oh. My back was pressed against the headboard of the bed, while I watched the little boy smile brightly. He couldn't be older than five. He stopped jumping when he noticed I was awake and landed on the bed.

His legs were crossed and his big green eyes looked at me with curiosity. I bit my lip in confusion; who was he? His eyes never left my face and I couldn't help but to smile back at him. He was adorable; I had a soft spot for kids.

"What's your name?" I asked quietly, tilting my head to the side.

His eyes went bigger than I thought possible and his face lit up. He was absolutely adorable. He brushed a piece of blond hair out of his face. He also looked very innocent, but I had a feeling that there was more to him than he was showing.

"My name is Alexander, but mummy called me Alex," he grinned proudly but soon after started playing with his fingers.

Laughing through my nose, I shook my head. He was too cute for his own good. I could already tell that he would be a heartbreaker when he was older. It was easy to tell that any girl would be lucky to have him later in life. Of course, I wasn't going to tell him that because of obvious reasons.

A memory floated through my mind. When I was younger, I created a fantasy. I'm almost positive that this boy was one of my imaginations. The only difference was that this boy had a British accent. Alex didn't seem to notice my distress.

"Where is your mummy? Did you get lost?" A small frown formed on my lips, wondering where he came from.

He shook his head frantically, "I'm hiding," he whispers in a hushed tone, placing a tiny finger against his lips.

My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to figure out him. As I looked up, I found a mirror on the wall. My reflection startled me; my hair was a mess and I looked like a zombie.

"Why are you-" I started but got cut off by shouting.

Alex's face turned into a frown, he seemed to know something was going to happen. I scrunched my nose up, taking in the scared expression on his face. I had the sudden urge to protect him from whatever was coming in the next few minutes.

"Please don't let me go with her, please!" He begged; he looked terrified of the woman who was calling his name.

I looked around the room to see any place of where I could hide him but there was nowhere; at least there was nowhere I could quickly get him to. The door burst open, a woman rushing in. I didn't get any time to see if there was any other place to put him.

Her hair was a mess and her clothes were tattered. She looked a little surprised that another girl was in here, but I had no idea why. Her eyes turned to Alex, her face turning to a scowl. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering why she was looking at him like that.

"Alexander Pierce, what did I tell you about running away?" She placed her hands on her hips, "You need to get back to work," she ordered strictly, her eyes glaring into his.