Chapter Thirty Two

It's midmorning by the time we arrive at the entrance to the Oswald West State Park.

Unsurprisingly, there are a few other cars in the carpark – it's a popular area after all, a suggested daytrip mentioned in just about every Oregon travel guide on account of the magnificent scenery and countless hiking trails.

At least the beach probably won't be crowded – Smuggler's Cove is a popular surfing spot, but it's too far from Portland for casual beachgoers. Alix mentioned it to me one time. He said Smuggler's Cove has the best waves along the whole coast, and there's meant to be some sort of waterfall cascading down into the ocean on one side of the beach.

I always thought it sounded nice, but I never really imagined myself coming here to check it out. Not after everything that happened.

The parking lot is lined with giant Sitka spruce, the start of a forest that stretches all the way to the shoreline, wrapping the cove in a shaded green embrace. Even this lovely scenery sets my stomach twisting, the nausea bubbling up at the back of my throat.

I remember gazing out at trees like these as the bus meandered along the cliffs that day, enjoying the late Autumn light turning the feathery branches golden-green.

How is it that a moment from almost two years ago feels like it happened just yesterday, while yesterday feels like a thousand years ago? Will I ever break the chains of my past?

All through the drive after I fainted, everyone was laughing and chatty. No one asked me what happened, or what was wrong with me. No one made a big deal about it. They could tell I wasn't ready to talk. But they know something's wrong. Something big.

Snap out of it Ash.

Brushing aside my worries, I focus on the present, the here-and-now.

The boys are unloading stuff from the back of the car – rolled-up picnic blankets, bags, and the all important cooler box keeping Alastaire's champagne cold.

"What can I carry?" I ask, going around to the boot. Kitty passes Elliot a backpack, before turning her attention to me.

"You don't need to carry anything babe," she says. "Just yourself, ok?"

She smiles and gives me a soft nudge, and I feel like I've somehow taken one step forward, two steps back. The last thing I wanted was to have everyone treat me like I'm made of glass, some fragile thing to be wrapped in cotton wool and sheltered from the rough grasp of reality.

I'm not weak.

So I reach for the largest, heaviest-looking backpack, but before I can grab a hold of it Kitty sighs and shoves a wicker picnic basket in my direction.

"I was going to have Ben carry the food, but on second thoughts, that's a terrible idea," she says. "His stomach's like a black hole or something. Him and Lyall both. And I don't fancy getting to the beach to find there's only crumbs and wrappers left."

"I'm sure Ben wouldn't-" I begin.

"What've you got there Ash?" Ben says, sneaking up behind me as he eyes the picnic basket. "Let's get some crisps to have while we walk. And something sweet too. What's sweet in there, Kitty? We have chocolate, right? You packed chocolate? Yeah?"

"Chocolate?" Lyall chirps up, appearing next to us in a flash. "Did someone say chocolate? What type?"

Kitty rolls her eyes, picking up the picnic basket and shoving it into my arms.

"Protect it with your life," she says.

"No problem," I say, giggling at Ben and Lyall's hungry eyes following the basket.