Chapter Forty Two

"Felix," I say, the sound of his name sweet as honey on my lips.

"Took you long enough," he says, pulling me closer. His crooked smile is wickedly dark, and I can just make out the scent of the forest on him – midnight pine, icy moss, night-blooming flowers.

Mystical and arcane – a deep dark mystery that has me firmly in its grasp.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, trying to detach myself from him, but finding that somehow, I'm unable to.

I have no control of my limbs, and my hand refuses to unclasp his; my feet glide gracefully over the grass in a perfect waltz.

"You really thought I'd miss tonight?" He asks.

"I told you not to come," I say. "This is seriously risky. If anyone recognized you..."

"Relax," he says. "That's what the masks are for."

Masks. Masks? PLURAL?!

"Don't tell me..." I trail off, turning to where the rest of the masked group were dancing earlier.

The pirate with the black mask has light tan skin, and I can see messy black hair sticking out under his hat.

Ben sighting confirmed.

The guy in the angel costume, with his sun-kissed tan, deep blue eyes and dark blonde hair, is obviously Alastaire.

How could I have missed that? So obvious.

Even with the golden mask hiding his face, a crowd of girls is gathered around him, watching from the sidelines as he dances arm in arm with the girl in the pink dress. She's still holding the bottle of what I suspect is rum, her cheeks flushed red as she clings to Alastaire, who seems to be trying to shove her away, to no avail.

The guy in a set of knight's armor is harder to guess, but from his six foot something height, I'm assuming that's Elliot. The way he's coolly and calmly hanging back from the action, watching over the others from afar, is also pretty typical of him.

His face is hidden by a visor, but I'm certain it's him.

The only one missing is...

"Lyall," I whisper, then more loudly, "where's Lyall?"

Felix laughs, twirling me around suddenly, before catching me and pulling me closer than before.

He's very close – my body is pressed up against his, and he tightens his grip on my wrist, smiling as he ducks his head so that his lips brush gently against my ear.

"He's here," he murmurs into my ear. "Why? Don't tell me you've got a crush?"

My face burns bright red, and I try once again to pull myself free, but my body won't listen to me. Some invisible force guides me over the lawn like a ragdoll in Felix's arms – defenseless, powerless.

Is he doing this? How could he be?

There's something different about him tonight.

Something in his eyes.

I stare deep into those beautiful hazel irises, trying to see the secrets beneath, the emotion he's keeping from me.

Gazing at my reflection in his eyes, I see the answer written on my own face.

Sadness.

"Felix..." I murmur, wanting to ask him a million questions, but not sure where to start.

Who are you, really? Was I hallucinating last night in the forest, or did you really transform into the dark prince from my dreams? Did you really kiss me, or was that a dream too?