Hour Five

2:14

Leia wasn't sure if he'd fallen asleep.

He was in another slouch, with his hands folded across his stomach, eyes shut, head tilted upward as it leant against the wall behind him, an angle which made his already sharp jaw appear even more defined and prominent. He'd been that way for the past five minutes, give or take, since their conversation had came to a natural lull after their game of twenty questions was over.

It was kind of soothing, watching him, and the steady way his chest rose and fell with each breath... especially given the way her heart was beating after the last question.

Kai pursed his lips and ran his hand through his hair once more, worrying it with his touch. Leia figured it was an unconscious habit he had, like her biting her lip. But it was kinda annoying, cos it always ended up falling in a way that still looked good. "Ok, so final question." He seemed to think about it for a while, before eventually asking, curiously "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

Leia didn't respond for a few long moments, before saying, a little stuttery "Um... I don't know... I mean... I guess. I think maybe... I don't know. You can see somebody and want to get to know them, but maybe to actually fall for them, you need to get to know them a bit first?"

Kai nodded and smiled. "Yeah, I think so too."

Leia sighed softly to herself, as she felt her heart rate finally return to a steady normal beat, and she closed her own eyes, wondering if she'd maybe drift off too, and-

There was a loud groan, and Leia's eyes flew open in shock- and it turned out Kai wasn't asleep, or he must be the lightest sleeper ever, because his eyes opened too, and he frowned, staring at her, and then one side of his lips pulled up in amusement and Leia went red once more, clasping her hands to her stomach - the source of the offending noise.

"Hungry?" Kai asked, with a chuckle.

Now that she was aware of it, she was. She remembered her earlier - until now forgotten - plan to get a brownie pre-date, and as she did, her stomach let out another mournful groan at the thought. "Y-yeah," she said, stammering due to her embarrassment, letting out a sheepish giggle. "Just a little bit." she paused, and asked curiously. "Aren't you? We've been in here, what... over four hours now?"

Kai shook his head. "I ate literally just before we got stuck in here. Chocolate chip pancakes." He said, and at the mention of the sweet breakfast food, Leia couldn't help but let out a little moan, her empty stomach twisting a little. Kai sat up a little straighter – once again raising a hand to his hair to run his fingers through it – and his expression seemed to be one of concern. "Didn't you eat before?" he asked.

Leia shook her head. "I was too nervous... for the date thing. I was just gonna get something at the coffee shop." She sighed, feeling stupid for having cancelled room service.

"Hey," he said, eyes brightening, and held up one finger, before digging his hand into his jean pocket. "I think... I have... something..." he pulled what he was looking for out with a noise of triumph, before holding it up – a slightly squashed looking... brownie bar.

Leia remembered the internal pep talk she gave herself in her hotel room –

A day can't suck when you have a brownie.

Ok. Weird coincidence. Definitely. It wasn't like it was fate, or anything. No way...

"Here." he scooted forward a little and extended the brownie bar out towards her. "Take it."

Leia – still a little freaked out by the whole... coincidence stared at it with wide eyes for a moment, blinking, before shaking her head and saying "Oh, no, it's yours-"