Chapter 1: Changes

_______

_______

     "You must not have heard me the first time." I spoke into the phone as I paced back and forth in my small ass apartment. "I have to be to work in ten minutes! You live 15 minutes away and it takes me 20 minutes to get to the shop! I'm already about to be late cause you couldn't climb out the pussy at a decent hour last night and overslept. So, again, no August, I can't drop her off!"

     "See, all that yapping and bullshit you doing right now, Jus, is unnecessary. I told you it was cool, drop her off at my mama's house and I'll pick her up later." He shot back. I pulled the phone away from my ear and counted to ten before I cursed his ass out.

     I took a deep breath."I didn't have a baby with your mom, August, so I'm not about to keep taking her over there cause you don't know how be a father to your child!" I spat at him.

     "I know how to take care of my daughter, Aaliyah, don't start that shit." He growled at me and I laughed. I knew he was mad too cause he called me by my first name, which nobody but my mother and him called me. He only used it when he was mad at me. He knew I hated it but I wasn't 'bout to let him get to me. "Bitch, you think that shit is funny?"

     "Hell fucking yeah!" I continued laughing, ignoring the fact that he called me out my name. "If you really think you know how to be a father to our daughter then we wouldn't be having the same conversation for the fifteenth time. You know what? Don't even worry about it, go back to nasty ass Nicole. I got her."

     I hung up the phone and tossed it on the couch. I groaned in aggravation seeing Aubrielle tucked in her car seat looking as peaceful as ever. If it wasn't for my baby girl, I probably would've have been shot her trifling ass daddy. But seeing her smiling face reminded me what I was doing this for and what she deserved. Despite Aug's fucked up ways and the shit he puts me through, I couldn't deny the fact that Aubri needed him. I knew what it was like growing up with out a father and I promised on the day she was born she's never have to go through that. Here we are at six months and I'm still fighting hard to keep that promise.

     I sighed and gently put her pacifier back in her mouth as she stirred in her sleep. I covered her up with a blanket and went to grab my car keys. I gathered up my purse, work bag, and her diaper bag before picking her car seat up. I moved a bit quicker as a locked up and rushed down the stairs and to the parking lot of the Edgewood project apartments I've been living in for the past two years. I struggled to carry Aubri and our bags but I somehow managed to hit the alarm to my 2012 Mercedes Benz G550. The freshly washed custom cherry red paint job glistened in the hot early sun as I quickly approached it.

     After getting Bri settled in and buckled up, I got in and put my bags in the passenger seat. As soon as I got the car started, my phone rang from my cup holder. I rolled my eyes and put it on speaker and hooked it up to my AUX cord so I could put it on my lap.