Chapter 3: Sorry

_________

_________

     Cerena shook her head and took a long sip of her mimosa. I sighed, already knowing what she was about to say.

     "I don't get it." She put down the champagne flute before leaning forward. "How you claimed to be done with this nigga for almost a year now yet every time we talk it's something about him and his bitches?"

     I picked at my eggs and shrugged. "It's not that easy to get rid of somebody like August, Cerena."

     She laughed and said, "You just dick whipped, that's all. I bet you as soon as you find somebody better you gon' forget all about his sorry ass."

     "I can't wait to see the day he even lets another dude talk to me." I chuckled sarcastically while peeking in the stroller next to our table to make sure Aubri was still asleep.

     The last time I went on the a date with another dude, Aubri was 2 months old. Cerena hooked me up with somebody she met at her job, and just for kicks, I told her to set it up. August had been acting funny, spending more time at Nicole's place and I wanted to get back at him. I wasn't really interested in Jayson, so guess I was just tryna remind Aug that he wasn't the only nigga checking for me.

     Before we could even finish our drinks, August showed up to the club ten deep, and pistol whipped Jayson right on the dance floor.

     It was my first and last date.

     "So, he can fuck Susie, Sarah, and Sue Ellen, but as soon as you start talking to Tom, Dick, and Harry, it's a problem?"

     "He's your cousin. I don't know why you trying to act surprised." I checked the time on my phone and sent August a text message reminding him of Aubri's doctor's appointment at three. We haven't spoke since he walked out last night, but it was her 6 month checkup and she was getting her shots today, so I promised him I'd remind him. Despite me still being pissed, that all went out the window when it concerned Aubri, no matter how petty I felt like being.

     Cerena finished off her piece of bacon and. chewed slowly in thought. "I never understood that."

     "What?"

     I cut into my french toast and took a bite with a mouthful of strawberries and cream.

     "The anatomy of the male brain. They make everything so fucking complicated."

     "And whatchuu think they say about us?" I responded with amusement.

     Cerena shook her head and rolled her tongue slowly inside her cheek. "Oh no, we not nearly as complicated. They used to make us think that bullshit, but the more you think about it, we're not that hard to figure out if you actually listen to our needs and stop trying to run some old ass game you probably used on your last bitch."