Chapter 20 -- Kaitlyn

I walked down the stairs into the dining hall. It was nine at night and I hadn't eaten anything all day. I turned the corner expecting Anthony to be there eating dinner. He wasn't there. All there was, was the unsettling darkness that consumed the room. Openings in the wall revealed the night time sky filled with stars. Vines and roots snaked their way through each opening. The mill dew hung in the air making it feel more congested.

I walked over to the wall and flicked on the switch. The chandelier jumped to life with light. The light revealed the rectangular tables with nice brown hardwood stood in order. Only one piece of cloth draped over one table. Brown dining chairs were placed around the tables.

Candles burned down to the bottom. Wax froze halfway with the flames extinguished.

I went to the kitchen to make some sandwiches. Everything in the pantries and the food holders were empty except for a bag of chips. I sighed in frustration. Guess I'll have to get food at the market tomorrow.

"Anthony better be in his room" I murmured to myself.

I worked my way up the stairs faster than I needed to. I wasn't sure why I needed to.

The hallway was lit by one light-bulb. The light illuminated all the way to the opening in the wall. The lights of the city was so bright it traveled over here and lit up the opening. The cool gust of wind pressed against my face ever so lightly. It was followed by a dense humidity.

Anthony's door was surprisingly not locked but partially open. I pressed the door open gently trying not to make a noise and disturb him.

He sat there in the chair looking upon the city. His gaze never shifted to my presence.

"You always like looking out that window, don't you? It's like you're always in that spot when I show up" I crossed my arms, smiling.

His chuckle was deep. "It's just so beautiful out there Kate; the lights, the foliage, the people, it's all great". I could see some of his cheek popping out, showing me he was smiling.

"Have you ever wondered what was out there Anthony? You know, beyond the walls" I said pulling up a seat next to him.

"Well I mean who doesn't" Anthony laughed. He switched his legs that were crossed. "But yes, I do. On occasion I wonder if there's anything more out there. It can't all be destroyed like Zoe says it to be. Maybe there's more places like this. Something else" his voice was passionate.    

"Something else? Like what" I laughed.

"I'm not sure" he paused, moving a strand of hair out of his face. "Maybe one day they'll open the gates and let us out there".

"Like that would ever happen" I punched him in the arm teasingly.

There was a moment of silence between us. We were both caught up looking out the city. No noise emitted. Just the sound of the wind between us.

"Well I was just about to go to this peak that I found a couple of days ago. You could see the city and everything around more easier up there. Care to tag along" he moved his head to look over towards me.

"Sure, I'd love to".

-------------------------

It took a good while to get to the peak. It was essentially a giant rocky hill right behind the hotel. We crawled through mounds of foliage and destruction of older buildings to get to there.

The grass was grown up to our waists. There was no light to guide us in the night. Not even the bright city lights could reach back here to give some illumination. He must of memorized the way up by heart. He navigated around everything like a professional.