Chapter 21 -- Crimson

That's exactly what happen to me too. Well, not exactly but I see where some of the points in her story connect with Anthony and I.

On the day of the injections ceremony my sister left to go to the Zyto tower so that she could 'leave us alone'. I told Madi that we were just friends. I told her that morning and she still didn't listen to me.

Then I told her 'we're just friends Madi, remember what I said this morning'. And Anthony assumed that I was talking about him to her. He probably assumed I liked him. I told him that it was not like that. That I thought of him as a brother. Just like what Kaitlyn said to him when they went to the peak.

She couldn't bring herself to kiss him. But why? Did she feel the same way as me?

"Hey Crimson" Kaitlyn said, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah? What is it"?

"Would you want to go with me to the peak"?

"Really? Would you want to go back there after what happened to you and Anthony" I asked.

"Yeah, it's fine. One little incident isn't going to stop me from showing you this incredible view" Kaitlyn smiled. "I remember the way there. It's still kind of light out so we can see our way. But not too light to get caught".

"Alright, well lets get there before the light is gone" I stood up from my chair.

------------------------

The trip took a long time just like I expected it to be. The dark red and pink sky still lit up the dull green blades of grass. My arms and legs got scraped up by rocks on the climb up.

I remember what Kaitlyn thought on the way up. 'Was this even worth it'. I had to keep reassuring myself that it was worth it. This place was somewhat sacred. Only Anthony, Kaitlyn and I have been up here. As far as I knew. Then again the city has been here for generations upon generations. Tons of people could have come up here to the same exact spot, walking the same exact path.

I wiped the back of my hand across my forehead. Sweat formed from the roots of my short neat hair. Ahead of me Kaitlyn hiked on the path as if she had been doing it for years. "I thought you went here once" I shouted. I didn't see the need to shout here. We were far away from the city and it's people that you have to talk over.

It felt necessary because of the sticks breaking beneath our feet. And maybe to pull her back from whatever she could be thinking.

"Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I went here a couple of times hoping Anthony would be there" she shrugged. I could she why she did that. How she felt like that.

Even though it was weird of Anthony to do that to her. And even though he wanted her to go, she probably felt it was nice to get reconcile with him. Apologize for what she did. Completely understandable for her to go back there and hope he was there.

Greedily, I hoped he'd be there too.

I wasn't sure why I had the urge to see him again. Then again, he's the only friend I could trust for all of the years that I knew him. He was like a brother to me. He always looked out over me. When I did something wrong he took the blame for it. He would be punished for something he didn't do. Sometimes verbal punishments.

Sometimes physical.

Was all of that because he really liked me, more than a friend.

I shook the thought out of my head. I didn't have those feelings for him. Sure I loved him, but it was in a sisterly way. I could never have the heart to Anthony that if it ever came down to it. I could never tell him how I really feel. I don't know what he'd think of me. That's why I haven't told him, I haven't told anyone. I didn't want to lose him.