TWO

An intense gust of wind rocked the car

An intense gust of wind rocked the car. Elle gripped the steering wheel, her knuckles whitening as she focused on the dark road ahead.

Her chest pinched again, more upset than angry. Even though it was her decision to quit and move across the state with Stan, tonight was a big deal for her, and she wasn't sure he was even there.

Elle started dating Stan a year ago. When he approached her, she was at the grocery store when he asked if she was the girl on the massive billboard outside. It had made her cheeks flame with embarrassment; it was the first time anybody ever said it to her. He wasn't making fun of her, though. He was charming, good-looking, and made her laugh, so she couldn't say no when he asked her on a date.

Their first date was at a smoothie bar thanks to her strict diet during rehearsals for The Nutcracker. But he didn't mind and she got to know him anyway. He was close with his family, who came from a long line of lawyers and judges, which was what he'd be going to get his degree for. Elle was a little disappointed to hear that he was moving to California sometime the following year. She really liked him. Still, she liked his openness and his easygoing nature. He made her smile and laugh for the first time in ages. When they started dating properly, he wasn't pushy for sex in the beginning like most guys she'd been with were. It was like he genuinely wanted to get to know her and listened when she told him how she wished to be something other than a prima ballerina. She wasn't scoffing at it; she worked hard to get where she was. But she couldn't shake the feeling that she was meant for something else.

He'd never been distant with her, not like tonight, so Elle couldn't help thinking that something was definitely wrong. Or everyone was right and he was hiding something from her.

A siren snapped Elle from her thoughts. Her heart jumped to her throat at the flashing red and blue lights behind her. Slowing down, she pulled over as the police cruiser stopped behind. Seconds later, she saw a hulking figure exit the car from the side mirror. Lowering her window, rain spit at her face, causing a shudder to roll down her spine.

"Officer?" she said as he finally arrived at the window. Maybe her taillight was gone again. She wasn't very good at keeping up with maintenance on her car.

Lifting her eyes, Elle was struck by the officer's face. His blue eyes stood out against his ivory complexion and dark brown hair. Her cheeks burned when he looked her straight in the eye. Maybe it was being faced with authority, but she dropped her gaze quickly, focusing on his lips, straight nose, and strong jawline instead.

"You were driving over the speed limit," he said, his voice deep and smooth. "Please step out of the vehicle."

Elle's lips parted in shock. Speeding? "I wasn't speeding."

"Are you trying to say I'm a liar?" he asked, pulling her door open. "I won't tell you again. Step out of the car."

Shame burned through her as she unclipped her seatbelt and exited the car. The wind raked up her dress, freezing her to the bone as she turned to deny that she hadn't been speeding. But a gasp flew out of her mouth when she realized he was far closer than she thought he was. And he was huge, well over six foot, his muscles gripping his navy shirt. Elle arched her neck to look at him. "Where is it you came from tonight?"