SIX

Nathan drove home in need of aspirin for his pounding headache

Nathan drove home in need of aspirin for his pounding headache. It had been an annoyingly long day, but he knew he and Mires weren't on anyone's radar, and they'd gotten away with taking Elle.

Nathan tried to relax by drumming his thumbs against the steering wheel along with the classical music playing in his car. He had downloaded all the music Elle had danced to and listened to it for weeks. He had to give props to Mires. Nathan wouldn't have ever found her without his brother's need for revenge.

Though, worry nestled in his gut. There was no way her beauty would only affect him. Although Mires desired to drive his knife into her heart more than his dick, there was always the chance he, too, would be ensnared by her beauty. Nathan wouldn't be able to watch her all the time. He could only change the locks on her door, which should keep Mires out. Maybe he'd warn her about Mires' intentions of killing her. Who knew? Perhaps it would push her closer to him, knowing he didn't want her dead.

Parking his car in his usual space beneath one of the oak trees, he glanced at the only place he'd ever known as home. His only place of true solace, where he could be himself. It was out of the way, hidden by thick woodland just outside New York City. The next house was a few miles away, owned by an older man named Billy, who never bothered them. Truth be known, Billy probably had a few skeletons in the closet himself.

Making his way into the house, the stink of cigarettes greeted him. Walking down the hall and into the living room, Mires sat on the couch with a beer and cigarette, watching sports on TV. Nathan scowled.

"I told you to do that outside." Mires remained silent as he pushed the window open to let fresh air in. He fucking hated when he smoked in the house, but he had to put up with him. No one else would. "Have you heard anything?"

Mires shook his head without looking at him. Nathan was used to him and his ways, but his slob habits were starting to piss him off. He never used to be like this, so dead on the inside, hellbent on making people pay for his misery. Being in prison had changed him.

Abandoning his thoughts, excitement rushed through Nathan as he went upstairs to see his girl. He wondered if she missed him, but he knew it was wishful thinking.

Unlocking the door, he walked inside. Sitting on the bed, Elle nearly took his breath away. She looked perfect wearing the blue dress he chose for her this morning. He smiled, his heart beating out of his damn fucking chest. She made herself look nice for him, which pleased him. She glanced at him before looking down at her lap. She was so shy and pretty in blue—his favorite color.

"Hello," he said, but she said nothing back. He sighed. "Will you ever talk to me?"

"I want to go home."

Shaking his head, he approached her and sat beside her on the bed. Her tantalizing scent made him dizzy, her sweet, natural smell rushing straight to his cock, making him hard. He wanted her even more now that she'd made herself look nice. No one was going to take her away from him. Not King or Mires. He couldn't let it happen.

Leaning in, he inhaled her long, pretty hair. She was so different, precious even. How had he never seen her before? Maybe because he'd never watched ballet while gathering his research about her. It hadn't been his thing.

"Did Mires come by today?" he asked as his fingers played with her hair. She chewed on her plump bottom lip, and he almost lost it. She nodded, and he frowned. Fucking bastard had better keep his hands to himself. "I'm sure he told you what he wants to do to you. I don't want that, though." Her body shook, and Nathan dropped his hand. "Come on. I'll make dinner. You must be hungry."

From the corner of his eye, he could see she'd barely touched her breakfast. The tabloids he read said she had an eating disorder, and while she was slim, Nathan wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, with her lack of appetite, he was starting to see the truth.

He held his hand to her instead, not wanting to make her uncomfortable by calling her out on it. Looking at it momentarily, she finally reached up and took his hand. He liked how it looked, her hand tiny in his.

He guided her downstairs, unable to shake how right it felt. She was meant to be here with him. Sure, it wasn't the conventional way of meeting someone, but that wouldn't matter soon enough.

"Dinner," he said to Mires as they passed the living room, carrying on towards the kitchen. Once inside, he pulled out a chair for Elle at the kitchen table, and she sat.

"Why the fuck is she down here?" Mires' voice boomed, making her flinch. Nathan gritted his teeth, hating his brother for scaring her when she was being compliant.

"Because I want her down here," he sneered at him, going to the fridge and removing the three meals he'd prepared during the week. After preparing them onto plates, he heated them in the microwave as Mires sat beside her.

"This is risky, and you damn well know it."

Said the guy who wanted to kill her straight away. Nathan glared at him, hoping he took the hint and shut the fuck up. He only stared back, lips lifting into a taunting smile.

Turning away from him, Nathan served them both before sitting with his own. Elle only stared at the plate. What was she waiting for?

"Eat," he snapped at her. She jumped in her seat and instantly brought the fork to her mouth, obeying him. He smiled with satisfaction. "What have you done today?"

Mires snorted. "What do you think she's been doing? Knitting cardigans and baking?"

"I meant you." Nathan's fists curled in anger. He was really pissing him off.

"Nothing at all," he said. "What about you? Did you see King today?"

Elle's head snapped up from her plate, her eyes wide. Nathan stood and swung his fist toward his brother's face. He was pleased when it connected with the side of his smug mouth. He was giving away too much information.

Mires stood, his lip dripping with blood. "Want to try that again? It wasn't hard enough."

Nathan clenched both fists, anger searing hot through his veins, determined to put his brother in his place once and for all.