THREE

A thud beneath Elle's head jerked her awake

A thud beneath Elle's head jerked her awake. "Fucking potholes," a male voice cursed nearby as an engine rumbled beneath her ear.

She was laying down, her cheek pressed against cool, sticky leather. Her eyes flickered open, but she quickly closed them again when they stung. Swallowing, she grimaced from the chemical taste lacing the back of her tongue. Her head throbbed, and she felt heavy like she was drunk. Panic washed over her, nestling inside her chest. But she struggled pulling anything from the fog inside her head.

She knew she was at the afterparty with Paul and then left to go to Stan. Along the way, she had stopped. Why had she stopped again?

Someone hummed a tune from the front, and the sound of fingers drumming against the steering wheel matched the pace of her heart. Elle's panic morphed into fear as she forced her eyes open, ignoring the tears that seeped from the corners, and looked to the front. In the driver's seat was a man wearing a police uniform, a caged separator between them. From the radio system in the front, she knew she must be in the police cruiser.

But why?

She could just about make out the man's side profile. His dark hair, straight nose, and sharp jaw. The memory suddenly hit her, coming back in jagged pieces. He'd been the officer who had pulled her over and accused her of speeding. He'd made her take a test and then searched her. She'd been walking away...and then...

Darkness.

She swallowed again, the lump in her throat sickening. Was he arresting her anyway? Had she passed out?

Turning, she peered out the window, but all she saw was darkness outside. Nothing to indicate where they were going. She couldn't think of a reason why she had fainted. Or was that what really happened?

His voice, he'd said something to her. Something that sounded like, "You're coming home with me."

Her heart picked up pace as the car came to a sudden stop. The officer cut the engine and opened the door, still humming that awful tune. Elle squeezed her eyes shut when the back door opened by her feet, a whimper almost tearing free when his hands grabbed both her ankles. Her body slipped down as he pulled her, the skirt of her dress riding up. Cold air nipped her exposed thighs as he took hold of her shoulder, pulling her upright. But then, he stopped. "Wait a minute—"

Elle didn't give him a chance to finish. Biting down on his hand, he let out a howl and released her. Taking the opportunity, she ran, heading for the dark trees surrounding her. She screamed when she heard footsteps pounding after her, knowing he was chasing her.

"Help!" she yelled frantically. "Someone help!"

She crashed into something solid. Glancing up in shock, dark eyes belonging to a different man glared down at her. "Where are you going?"

"Help me, please. He's trying to get me."

He chuckled.

"Help you?" He grabbed her arm, his grip tight. She gasped when he started pulling her back toward the car. No, not the car. A house.