Chapter 12

*Kamal Pov*

"I am fine." I mumbled for the millionth time wishing I can hide somewhere from everyone's caring words.

My friends were wrong thinking we will be free from such words from the people after leaving the village. The place is changed, but not the people.

At least the villagers knew my mom, but not the people who are around me at present. God! When did I become so bitter? I thought and then remembered my snapping comment to Vani.

What had she even done? I thought, shaking my head and started looking at the appointments for today before reaching near the patients following my resident.

I did as much as I can do throwing myself into the work and trying to take anyone's task to just fill the time until my friends literally threw me out asking me to go home.

So, I reached the house late and then remembered about Vani seeing her sitting on the sofa.

"Dinner?" she asked, glancing at me.

"I will freshen up!" I replied, to which she nodded before getting up and walked towards the kitchen while I walked into our room.

When I sat on the dining chair, I saw her opening the dishes and I stilled in my place. These are my favorite ones and Mom always cooks them whenever I visit her.

"Why did you cook this?" I asked her without glancing away from the dishes.

"I... I thought, these are your favorite." She replied and I shook my head before serving myself some curd.

"Shall I cook something else?" she asked, but I again shook my head without looking at her.

"Please tell me what is wrong. How will I know without your words?" she asked, sitting on the chair near mine.

"I just don't want to eat those." I replied gritting my teeth.

"But... Aunty always said these are your favorites. I thought, you will feel good eating them. What should I do?" she asked and I closed my eyes.

"What you should do is to not try something which would make me feel good. I don't want to feel good and you better not do anything to make it happen." I replied, raising my voice and she staggered back in shock.

I closed my eyes fisting my hands before walking inside our room and rushed inside the washroom to wash my hands remembering I didn't.

I just laid on the bed and thought how can she just leave me. I didn't say much when he left the world, but not her too.

She should have known that I will be all alone without her. I shook my head and tried to control the emotions before drifting off into sleep.

After a few minutes I felt the bed dip and glanced over my shoulder to see Vani laying down at the end of the bed.

I sighed, remembering how I took the anger over everything on her and slowly turned around only to see her back towards me.

"I am sorry! I shouldn't have shouted at you like that." I said and waited to see whether she is asleep or awake.

"It is ok!" that's all she mumbled and I slowly drifted off into sleep.

"So, how is everything?" Girish asked when we met at our regular table at the start of the weekend.

"Fine!" I replied, shrugging.

"And Vani?" Rakesh asked, staring at me.

"Fine I guess." I replied, frowning at the way things happening after the day I shouted at her.