Chapter 17 - An Unlikely Hero to the Rescue

She could feel the ground begin vibrating under them from his weight as he neared. Tobias attempted to move, still weak and barely able to shake Elyssa off of him. He staggered to his feet, wobbling as he struggled to get his bearings. Ever so carefully he took a few steps forward.

"Tobias, don't..." Elyssa cried out as she reached for him. Tobias though refused to move from her side. He was determined to protect her at all costs, even if it meant his life. He let out a deep growl and bared his teeth once more at the approaching foe. His legs trembled and shook beneath him as he attempted to lower himself and prepared to attack.

The arms of the figure raised above his head as he bore down on them. His hands curled into fists. Elyssa could tell from Tobias' wobbling that there would be no way he could withstand the force that was about to be unleashed upon him, even if he wasn't already injured. The next blow would likely be fatal.

Tobias attempted to launch himself forward, but his legs gave way underneath him and he went crashing to the ground. The mysterious figure had an opening that he was more than willing to take full advantage of. He would finish off Tobias, and then easily rid Elyssa from her life soon after. Elyssa could see the confident grin of having such easy pickings as he began to swing his arms downward in a large arc, his giant fists aimed directly at Tobias' head.

The next few seconds seemed to blur together and disappear as if time didn't matter. One moment the figure seemed to be mere inches away from connecting directly with Tobias, and then he was gone as if whisked out of existence. A thundering boom of sound soon followed accompanied by a cry of pain.

Elyssa looked up at a feather slowly wafting back and forth in the air before touching down on the ground in front of her. Her eyes slowly look to Tobias who was looking up at a new figure standing in front of him, silhouetted by the sun shining through the trees. As her eyes focused she recognized the new addition to the battle.

It was none other than Leo that now was standing before them. She couldn't help but stare at him. He looked like something out of the movies. His chiseled jaw gave way to the scruff on his face, and his blonde locks blew slightly in the breeze.

His long lean arms bulged from his wide shoulders. Even with the thin metal armor covering his chest she could tell that underneath was nothing but definition along with a nice washboard of abdominal muscle. The addition of the snug black leather pants and boots he wore, along with the sword hanging from his belt, only completed the picturesque vision of a greek god.

He looked over to her and smiled a brilliant white smile as he rubbed his shoulder. His wings with their shades of red, blue, and brilliant white beat slightly with the agitation of the battle before collapsing like a encasing shield around his back. Elyssa's first thought was that he was like an angel come to protect her before realizing how silly that was since he actually was an angel.

"I'm sorry I'm a bit late. The demon's spell on the forest made you a bit hard to track down," he spoke as he glanced over at the hulking figure now lying a good 20 yards away. The figure struggle slowly to his feet, his mouth and lips now covered in blood from the broken stitches that had held them closed.

"I'll be right back," he said as he winked at her and brandished his sword before striding confidently toward the figure. The figure stumbled slightly as he found his footing, still slightly dazed from Leo's unexpected appearance and attack. Carefully he backed up a few steps seeing Leo's oncoming approach. His hand brushed across his mouth wiping away some of the dripping blood, and then he ran his tongue over the rest.

"Been a long time since I've tasted my own," the figure spit out in a low, deep voice.

"Savor it, it might also be your last," Leo shot back as he raised his sword and point it towards the figure. His wings opened wide upon his back in sync with the rising sword.