Chapter 24 - The End or Just the Beginning?

The moon was extraordinarily bright on this night. It was a welcome change from the darkness of the last several weeks. So much had changed since then. She would never see the world the same again, for that matter she hardly recognized herself in the mirror. Who in their wildest dreams would have thought that these angels and demons truly did exist, that she was a powerful witch who had an important role to play in the coming battles.

She felt like at any moment she would wake up and realize this had all been a part of the same ongoing dream. In a way she wanted it to be just that. She missed parts of her old, boring life. Everything had been so overwhelming to her, but at the same time she was already looking forward to the next adventure.

And then there was him. He infuriated her to no end. He was always so cruel and cold towards her, acting distant and broody for no apparent reason. What was his problem? And the glimpses she saw of the past when they touched, why didn't he want her to see more? What was it that had happened between them? Was that his reason for the few random acts of kindness, to make up for some past evil he had done?

This was certainly not the man that she had dreamed of. That man was kind and caring, even in his mysteriousness. That man loved her beyond a benefit of a doubt, and this one was nothing more than a Neanderthal half the time. She sat down on the edge of the bed for a moment, and a low growl resonated in her throat.

This right here was what was driving her mad! Why was she still thinking of him? What was it that made him so curious to her? It had to be the answers he held. She wanted to see the past that she had forgotten, because there was no way she was in anyway interested in someone like him. Who would be? All he did was brood over who knows what. That had to be it. It wasn't him that she wanted and made her curious, but the answers he held and wouldn't share.

"He's probably holed up with some tramp as it is. I bet that's his type anyways." She shook her head as she glanced out the window, and felt the warm breeze that was now drifting through it.

"I wonder..." She waved her fingers while speaking a few words under her breath. A small blue wisp of light appeared before her and floated over to the window where it hovered silently for a few seconds before flickering out in a puff of smoke. A peculiar look crossed her face.

"That's odd...Why would..?" She got up and crossed the room to her window to take a peek outside. Her demeanor quickly went from curiosity to rage

"What are you doing here!?" She almost shouted. Dantes was sitting quietly on the overhang just outside her window. Seeing him there, it was all she could do to not climb outside the window and strangle him herself.

"Well...?" At first he didn't respond, appearing more to be in deep contemplation. This was exactly what she hated about him. He just did whatever he wanted, and to top it all off he was rude about it. What business did he have even being here?

Slowly he turned to her, a look of grave seriousness on his face. For a second he watched her without speaking. She became increasingly uncomfortable under his gaze. She could feel the butterflies in her stomach and was increasingly aware of her own movements.

"Apparently I'm just hanging around tramps." He spoke the words softly, almost as if he was hurt that she would say such a thing about him before turning away.

Her face turned a beet red. Within an instant she had gone from being angry at him to embarrassed at what she had said.

"I'm sorry, I just...I..." She was at a loss of words.

He quickly cut her short. "I don't want to hear it. I get it."

"Why do you do that?" She asked, once again growing annoyed with him and remembering why he made her so angry in the first place.