Chapter 21 - The Battle Begins, a Hero Falls

She laid in the sand as her vision began to dim. This was it. It was the end of whatever battle she was told she was to be apart of. She wondered if this was the part she was destined to play. Was this the plan, to lose Annette and Tobias as she laid helplessly awaiting her own ending upon the sand. At least Annette's mom would be safe as long as Leo and Dantes came through. That was at least something to be grateful for Elyssa thought.

She laid there listening to the sizzling of burning wood as she closed her eyes. She could almost hear the sounds of the ocean in the background as it washed up upon the shore. She could take refuge that there was something peaceful to listen to as her life left her she thought. That was something to be grateful for.

She felt a light brush on her pants leg. At first she didn't think anything of it. The brush turned to something that felt like a tug. Before she knew what was happening she felt something grating along the side of her face. It began to burn, becoming more and more intense against the skin of her cheek. She fought to open her eyes and noticed the glow of the fires as they seemed to be distancing themselves from her.

As the cloudiness left her head she realized she was being dragged along the sand away from the crosses that now glowed a brilliant red and orange. She strained her head to see who was dragging her. At first all she could make out was what looked like a large, dark splotch. As her eyes focused she started seeing the tuffs of black fur and the large mane framing the wolf like face. In that moment she knew exactly who it was.

It wasn't just Tobias that had rescued her though. There was someone else laying across his back as he dragged her through the sand. Elyssa smiled to herself, Annette was safe. She was choking and coughing from the fire and smoke, but at least she was safe. That's all Elyssa cared about for the moment.

Tobias dragged her up beside Annette's mom before stopping. Crouching down, he allowed Annette to safely slide off of his back. As Elyssa rolled over onto her back she could hear the sounds of the battle getting closer. This definitely wasn't the time to be taking a breather. Luckily both Annette and her mom seemed to be coming around.

"Are you both okay?" Elyssa asked them as she forced herself to her feet. They both nodded an okay as they tried to catch their breath. Annette's mom was the first to stand with a bit of help from Elyssa, whose shoulder she wrapped her arm around. Annette too worked herself to her feet with some help from Tobias.

"Where are they?" Annette choked out between gasps for air.

"Who?" Elyssa asked.

"The two that took us."

"Leo and Dantes are handling them." Elyssa responded.

"They're going to need our help," Annette's mom interjected.

"Dantes said they'd be fine. They..." Elyssa began.

Annette grabbed her before she could finish. There was a look of terror in her eyes as she did so.

"I'm not worried about them. It's you they're after. You have to leave. Now! We'll help hold them off..." Annette tried to steady herself as she grabbed her mom by the sleeve and started towards the beach where the sounds of fighting were becoming louder. Tobias started to follow them but Annette motioned for him to go with Elyssa instead.

"Where are you going!" Elyssa almost screamed the words at them. There was no way they would survive a battle in the condition they were in. It would mean their deaths for sure and she wasn't about to let them die on her behalf. Elyssa took a step forward and Tobias moved to stop her, blocking her way.

"Annette you can't do this!" She yelled again, but Annette ignored her. Elyssa was becoming frantic as she tried to climb over Tobias, who was doing everything possible to stop her. Annette's mom finally stopped and whispered to her daughter before turning back to Elyssa. As she approached her, she ran her hand down Tobias' back to calm him. Knowingly he stepped back allowing her to take Elyssa's hand in her own, something that seemed to be a habit both with her and Annette.