Chapter Fourteen

“Eva,” I heard Elliot’s voice say. “EVA!”
My eyes snapped open. It was dark in my room, with only the moonlight trickling in.
I could see him standing over me as I lay in bed.
“Elliot! What the hell? What’s wrong?” I asked, sitting up quickly.
He started to laugh menacingly, like a villain in a superhero movie.
I leaned over to the bedside table, flicking on the lamp.
My heart leapt into my throat when I saw him.
Elliot was wearing his camouflage gear again, mud spattered all over his face. He held a machine gun by his side. But that wasn’t what terrified me.
He was completely covered in blood. His bald head was deep red, his clothes and hands were soaked in fresh, dripping blood.
Thunder roared from above, shaking the house violently.
In one swift movement, Elliot’s face was inches away from my own, his evil smile sending chills down my spine.
“Get away from me!” I yelled. I tried to scramble out of the bed, but I was frozen stiff. “Wyatt!” I screamed.
Elliot laughed. “No-one’s coming to save you, Eva.”
“What did you do to them?” I demanded, tears filling my eyes.
He pushed his face closer to mine, his eyes wide and deadly.
“They’re all dead!” He yelled, throwing his head back in a fit of laughter.

I woke in a fright and sprang up in bed, sweat streaming down my face. I looked around my room, but I was alone. It was just a dream.
“What a nightmare.” I sighed as I fell back onto the pillow.
My heart was still pounding when Jo knocked on my door a few minutes later.
“Eva? Wake up, lovely! Breakfast is nearly ready.” She called through the door.
“Be right there, Jo.” I called back as I slowly climbed out of bed.
I didn’t know how long I had slept for, but – apart from the nightmare – it was the most restful sleep I’d had in days.

I stumbled out into the kitchen to see Elliot wearing only boxer shorts and an apron, cooking bacon and eggs. Jo was standing next to him, pouring orange juice into a glass.
“Juice, Eva?” She asked, cheerfully.
“Yeah, thanks.” I replied.
I sighed in relief when I saw Wyatt sitting at the dining table, chewing on a piece of toast.
“Hey, you ok?” I asked as I took a seat next to him.
“I’ll be alright. Sorry I disappeared like that.” He apologised, putting his hand on my leg.
“Don’t apologise, I get it.” I nodded.
He leaned over, hugging me tight.
“Oh, I see what’s going on here.” Elliot said.
Wyatt and I looked over to see him waving his spatula back and forth at us.
“You two are a thing, aren’t you?” He grinned.
Neither of us said anything, but I could feel my cheeks warming into a blush.
“Yep! They totally are! And it’s about freaking time, too. I couldn’t stand watching another second of their ‘will they, won’t they’ soap opera.” Jo said, rolling her eyes and flashing me a cheeky smile.
“What about you, blondey? You and short-stuff a thing, too?” Elliot asked, elbowing Jo in the side.
“Me and Ben?” Jo squealed, pretending she had no idea what he was talking about. “No way. I’m free as a bird!”
Just then, Ben emerged from the hallway, looking annoyed. He took one look at Elliot and grimaced.
“Jeez, man. Don’t you ever wear clothes?” he muttered as he plopped himself onto the chair across from me at the table.
“Nope!” Elliot replied proudly, lifting his arms in the air. “I’m free as a bird, too!”
Jo high-fived Elliot and they started doing a little dance around the kitchen.
Ben glared at them and started gagging comically.

I heard barking from outside and scratching on the door soon after. I got up and walked over to the door to let Dixon in. He jumped up on me, tail wagging furiously.
“Dixon, how’d you get outside?” I asked as I knelt down to pat him.
“I put him out there last night.” Said Elliot, the humour he had on his face seconds ago was gone.
“Why?” Asked Ben.
Elliot didn’t say anything, he just shrugged his shoulders and scooped the bacon and eggs onto plates.
Jo handed me a glass of orange juice before sitting down next to Ben.
Elliot walked over, carrying four plates on his arms and placing one in front of each of us.
“Thanks so much for breakfast, Elliot. It looks amazing!” Smiled Jo.
“Mmmhm.” He replied, reaching over the breakfast bar to get his own plate before sitting down at the head of the table, between me and Ben.