Chapter Three : The Spider, the Shed, and Sold to Miss Pink Boots

Lemons and Limes

By : Veronica Tanner

Chapter Three : The Spider, the Shed, and Sold to Miss Pink Boots

I woke up the next morning with a smile on my face. It was a beautiful sunny day; not to hot not to cold. I hopped out of my bed a took a sniff of the air. My mom was making us breakfast and it smelled delicious.

I quickly raced over to my dresser and pulled out some white shorts and a light blue t-shirt. The t-shirt had a little butterfly at the bottom on the left, and it had a bit of green and yellow mixed in.

I quickly slipped into my selected adventure clothes before taking a look in my mirror. I grabbed a brush and ran it through my straight, dirty blond hair. My hair was rather easy to take care of. It wasn't to long, just a bit past my shoulders. Ronnie had long hair when she straightened it. It reached her mid back.

But Ronnie's hair was usually really, really curly. She used to hate it but then people started to tell her they wished they had her hair. But she straightens it for fun anyways.

Her hair is beautiful shade of brown. It isn't plain at all. It's medium shade in most parts, but a bit darker underneath. She has obvious blond highlights that she got from staying out in the sun too much as a little girl, and sometimes in the sunlight it gives off the slightest red tint.

Ronnie's hair always smells like vanilla and plants.

Andy has dirty blond hair like me and my mom. But Darren is a brunette like my dad and Ronnie. That's why it would make sense if Ronnie was my sister. She looks like it too, although the curls are a bit different from our straight hair it still seems possible. I really wish she was my sister.

For some reason Darren says it might happen one day. I don't get what he means though. But he only says it when Andy isn't around.

Ronnie told me once that she wished her hair was like mine. Straight.

"Maybe then I could actually brush through it without running into annoying tangles," she'd say with a laugh.

I miss her laugh. She was always such a friendly person. But now I wondered,

Would Ronnie ever be the same?

I hadn't seen her in a while. We had been too busy recently. But last night at dinner my mom said we could go see her on Friday after lunch. We all got excited. Today is Tuesday. Three days until I get to see Ronnie. I can't wait.

As I finished my morning thoughts and set the brush down on my bedside table my stomach growled. I giggled. There are some things you can't ignore, and for me that's definitely when I'm hungry.

I rushed down the stairs and leapt happily into the kitchen. There I found Andy looking at his phone and humming with a smile, (I guessed that he was talking to Ronnie) and Darren moodily reading the comics in the newspaper.

Darren was always moody nowadays but Andy just laughed him. He says he laughs because he can't believe that he used to be like that. I always say that he wasn't nearly as bad. Darren throws a dragon at me. If there's one available.

Darren likes dragons. Two years ago he had a huge collection, but halfway through last school year he put most of them away. He told me he still liked them but that at a certain time having bunches of stuffed dragons was a bit silly.

"And nerdy!" I added before I had run out of his room. Next thing I knew the dragons were all about to eat me as their last meal. But then Andy saved me. And we ran far far away. But later on we all laughed about it.