Chapter Five : Miss Pink Boots Meets the Neighbors

Lemons and Limes

By : Veronica Tanner

Chapter Five : Miss Pink Boots Meets the Neighbors

It was Sunday. That morning I had woken up and gone to mass, just like I did every Sunday. Already I missed Ronnie.

It had barely been two days but nevertheless, I missed her. I couldn't stop thinking about her. I couldn't stop thinking about Friday; after we had finished playing with the chalk.

*Flashback*

"You can't get me!" I teased Andy and Ronnie as I ran away. We had just finished drawing to our hearts content, and now they were chasing me. Of course I had more behind this chase of ours then they had anticipated.

Quickly I spun around the curve and found exactly what I was looking for. I ran across the wet stone path and just as the edge of the fountain came within arm reach I expertly fell onto my side.

Andy and Ronnie came around the same curve at breakneck speed and they were laughing. At the last second they realized what was about to happen and they tried to stop. But it was too late.

Their shoes slipped on the wet stones and they tumbled into the fountain. They splashed around for a few moments and then came up for air. Andy looked shocked and Ronnie was glaring playfully at me. At the same moment they both realized something.

Anxiously they rushed to get their phones out of the water. I snickered and rolled my eyes. They both jumped out of the fountain and looked at me annoyed. But then they laughed. I smiled back.

"Oh Rose...." Andy said with a shake of his head as they walked towards me. I began to back away uncertainly. They opened their arms for a hug and I squealed. But it was too late. They wrapped me up in their embrace and got me all wet.

We all laughed again and walked over to an empty hill. I'm not quite sure how long we lay there joking and singing but eventually our clothes were dry and we merely sighed looking up at the clouds.

Just then Andy's phone beeped and he took a quick glance at it. He sighed again and helped us all up.

"It's time to go. Mom says to meet her at the cafe across the street."

We all walked a bit of ways before I announced,

"Last one there's a melted ice cream cone!!!" We all raced as fast as we could and Andy and I tied as we touched the door at the same time. We giggled a lot and panted for air when we realized Ronnie wasn't with us.

We looked back and saw her staring at the road. Her eyes were wide and terrified, like an animal that was trapped. She gulped and barely breathed. She just stared at the road as tears began to run down her face.

Andy made a motion telling me to stay there. He sauntered across the street and placed a hand on Ronnie's shoulder. She looked into his eyes and collapsed into his arms. A minute later Andy had guided her across. It was completely quiet for a minute. I felt sick not just in my stomach and in my heart. Andy cleared his throat. He said in a quiet comforting voice,

"Ronnie. There aren't any cars..." She looked at him with a tearstained face. She pulled out her pad and simply wrote.

"There weren't any cars last time. That's what it looked like before I got hit."

We both gasped. Ronnie....

Oh Ronnie......

*End Flashback*

Poor Ronnie. I knew how I would feel if it were me. Terrible to tell you the truth. Just terrible.

It was true though.