Chapter Six : Squirrel Boy and the Talking Letters

Lemons and Limes

By : Veronica Tanner

Chapter Six : Squirrel Boy and the Talking Letters

It had been two weeks since the day I met Amy and saw Siri the second time.

In the time durning those two weeks, July had ended. We were moving into August now and August meant school. My mom had been going crazy with making sure she had enough school supplies for a sophomore, seventh grader, and a second grader. August was always hectic.

Nothing unusual had happened either, and I was beginning to wonder if I had dreamed it all.

There was nothing much else to do. Amy was nice and all. I had wanted to meet her sister but Amy said she was still in New York.

"She's finishing up her last summer there," she had said wistfully, "A last goodbye to her friends and all ya know?"

I did know. I knew perfectly well. So yet again I sat in my room wondering on what to do, and thinking about what this school year would bring. Ronnie would have recovered. Amy would be attending my school. Darren might actually mature.

Nah. There's no way the last one'll happen.

But I knew that Ronnie would be getting out of the hospital just in time for school. Her first year of high school in fact. Andy said that Ronnie was stable again. She just needed to avoid any traumatic reminder of her accident. I said that she needed to avoid him.

So, as you would imagine, I am now hanging upside down from a tree.

"Andy! Let me go!" I complained for only the seventy-billionth time. Andy looked up from his comfortable chair and magazine. He made a little pouty face and told me mockingly,

"I'm sorry Rose but I'm just VERY busy at the moment," he smiled sympathetically and ate another potato chip before returning to his magazine.

"DARREN!" I called out and finally he opened up his window. He shouted as he stuck his head out,

"WHAT DO YOU WANT R-" then he saw me and burst into laughter. "You're...ha.....hanging upside down....heehee.....from a tree....HAHAHA!"

"Help me Darren, I beg you," I pleaded desperately.

"And?"

"And what?"

"What shall my heroic services receive?"

"I AM YOUR LITTLE SISTER AND YOU WILL GET ME OUT OF THIS TREE RIGHT NOW!"

"Hmmmm now Rose," he said in a disappointed voice, "I'm sure we can do better then that."

"One day Darren.....," I threatened. He just stared and sighed before beginning to close his window when I yelped out,

"Okay fine! I'll buy you a soda within this week!"

"DONE!" Darren agreed. He raced out into the backyard and began to climb the tree quickly. He got, about, to the first branch before he fell like the idiot he is.

"AGGGGH WILL NO ONE RESCUE ME?" I yelled out. Just then another boy joined us in our backyard. He said very quietly,

"I'd be glad to help." We all just stared at him. Faster than either of my brothers he scrambled up the tree and began to untie the rope. As he did so he advised,

"You should probably hold on to the rope," which I quickly did. He pulled me up in a few short seconds and began to untie the rope around my foot.

"Thank you SO much. I thought I was going to die!" I gasped out. He nodded.