chapter twenty-two

im only updating bc this ^^^ killed me n i felt the need to share this + i am SO BORED RN

***

When dinner is finished, Gerard makes sure Frank's mom and dad are within earshot when he asks Frank if he wants to go out.

"Go out?" Frank asks suspiciously. "Where?"

Gerard shrugs, wearing that same innocent smile he used to get Frank out of the house on his birthday. "I don't know, just... out. We'll go for a walk or something. Wherever you wanna go."

Frank's mom and dad can't seem to get rid of him fast enough. Gerard fucking beams and leads Frank away, and Frank curses Gerard and his stupid parent-charming powers.

"I still don't know what kind of kick you get out of this," Frank says to Gerard as soon as they're around the corner and out of the shadow of the church. "I'm just--"

"Shut up, fucker," Gerard says, making a mock-serious face and slinging an arm around Frank's shoulders. "You know what I do to people who talk shit about my things?"

Frank's glad he's got Gerard holding him up. His heart lurches, and he trips and nearly faceplants spectacularly onto the sidewalk. My things, Gerard said. His. Gerard's. Frank likes the way that sounds a lot more than he feels he should.

"My things," he says.

"Yup," says Gerard breezily, pulling Frank against his side. It's a cold, luminously bright day, but Gerard feels all warm and solid and Frank fits there like a jigsaw piece.

"I," says Frank a little unsteadily. "Yeah. Yeah, okay."

And, seriously, what the fuck. It feels like his heart is having some kind of solo interpretive dance party.

"Especially the things I want to keep," adds Gerard casually, keeping Frank close. "You know, the ones that are worth something."

Frank has to look up at him then, just to make sure Gerard isn't fucking with him.

"Seriously?" he says. It sounds fucking stupid as soon as it's out of his mouth, but he can't help himself.

"Yes!" Gerard rolls his eyes. "Jesus fucking Christ, Frank, look at you. I'm a lucky, lucky boy." He grins again, the shit-eating grin that Frank kind of loves. "And you're fucking adorable when you blush, too. Always had a bit of a thing about that."

Frank doesn't remember stopping, but he stands there on the sidewalk with Gerard looking at him intently, his hair whipping around his face while Frank tries to figure out if this is for real.

"I think," says Gerard seriously, "I'm gonna have to kiss you now."

And he does. Right there in the middle of the street, with cars rumbling by and passersby staring and tutting. Frank doesn't give a shit who's watching, Gerard's mouth is hot and his hands are on Frank's cheeks as he kisses the fuck out of him. One of Gerard's hands slips down Frank's back while the other one slides into his hair, and Frank opens his mouth under Gerard's. Gerard licks into his mouth and Frank really, really wishes they weren't in the middle of a busy street right now.

"What would you say," Gerard murmurs in his ear, "If I said I wanted to take you home right now, lay you out on your back and fuck you into the middle of next week?"

Frank makes a strangled noise. "I think I'd say yes," he chokes out while Gerard mouths at his neck. Gerard stops, smirking.

"Good," he says. "C'mon, let's get out of here."

***

i write this on my laptop n the way i split the parts up is so bad but,, who cares lmao